Broken Subframe

Has anybody that is a member of this board seen any of this 1st hand? Either your bike or a friend's. I keep hearing about this but so far I've only seen pics of one bike that this happened to. I would figure with how deep into the hayabusa community some of the members are someone has had to see a broken subframe first hand if it is such a major problem. Or is this just a fluke that has happened to a few bikes and what exactly do they carry on them (300+ lbs)? What percentage of bikes sold do you figure have broke? Could it be the suspension is set way too rigid and with a passenger this just amplifies the stresses on the subframe? Could it be resolved by softening the suspension if planning on a trip 2 up? I know it would sacrafice some performance but I'm not trying to scare the sh_t out of my wife by scraping our knees on some twisties. If I'm way off, just tell me, it was just something I was thinking and I'm not a motorcycle guru compared to any of you, by any means. As if that wasn't apparent already!

Take that luggage off if you value your life. Have your bike looked at ASAP. GIVI made a recall for good reason although not all failures of the frame have the luggage fitted.

Like i said before, thats one guys bike, one bike !! whats the circumstances behind this failure? give us ALL the details and DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OUT!

I have Givis. I am leaving them on. The Hayabusa has a stated load capacity of 410 lbs. (which is greater than the stated capacity of the Blackbird). I will not exceed the stated capacity. If anything fails, I'll let you know!

Happybus - here is what MCNEWS wrote in their article....

"Smith's bike was fitted with a pannier kit made by Givi. The Italian firm has also examined the bike and issued a recall notice on all Hayabusas fitted with its luggage systems.

Givi says the move is a precaution until the cause of the failure is found. Around 65 UK Hayabusas have been fitted with Givi pannier kits. Givi is alerting other luggage makers.

If you have a Givi system on a Hayabusa, take it off and contact your Givi dealer.

Givi UK's Peter Hudson said: "There is a safety issue here. At the moment we don't know what or even if it had anything to do with the luggage system. We are just acting in the interests of customer safety until the cause is found."

Givi has not posted a recall on this.

That's a good example of how information can get distorted on the board. Givi requests that the lugggage be removed until the issue can be resolved with Suzuki. That's all.

Perhaps they realize how easily the Hayabusa can be overloaded with side and top cases, passenger, etc. Not all failures have been with Givis, or even with any luggage at all.

I'll be the controlled experiment on this...

I'll keep you all posted about what ends up happening....my site deals with Suzuki recalls and how they are handling it......I also have a recall database thing that you can look through to see if there is a recall.

http://www.rider-info.com
jonathan b. Moos

Back