Brass/bronze/copper in the oil

stalledjack

Registered
Just wondering where in the engine there might be brass/bronze/copper? I'm about to tear the engine down after getting what looks like filings in the oil and was wondering where I should be paying particular attention to?

Thanks in advance.

:welcome: to the oRg. Obviously if you're tearing the engine down you'll want to go through everything. That includes the tranny and clutch.

Thanks. It's just that all the pictures of mains and rod bearings I have seen so far show no evidence of bronze. Just a silver looking metal. I'll have the engine out soon and be going over it all very thoroughly. Just a stock rebuild, but I don't want to have to pull it down again because I didn't check every little thing.

Cheers

look at the shift forks. if they are gouged or showing signs of wear, also look at the shift shafts and check them for straightness.

If you're buying parts for a rebuild; you might want to opt for high compression pistons and cams for a niffty little 30/40 RWHP. Just a thought.

Pistons and cams are on the wish list. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with reality and a budget :( I have the engine in pieces now. No evidence of brass anywhere. So, now I'm confused. All the bearings look good, about par for an engine with 60,000 km on it. The journals of the camshaft covers look a little suspect. A little rough and groovey, not Austin powers groovey either. Cams look good at a cursory glance. I'll get the measuring devices out at work tomorrow.
The rings and pistons look fine. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact I now know I lost oil pressure due to the pick up screen clogging with crud te engine looks like it would have happily done another 100,000 km.
What is the coating on the shift forks? Titanium-nitride or similar?

Cheers

Now I just need new bearings, rings, etc.

One final question, is it normal for some of the springs in the backplate of the clutch basket to be loose?

Yes, some of the springs are loose. It scared me when I first saw mine. I had a brand new one in a box on the shelf. I opened it to find it was the same way.

Ok, just checked with a mechanic friend. All good to go, no need to panic. He said the internals look fantastic for 60,000km. So, it's bearings, rings and ride :)

Back