Bought another bike.

greg3852

Registered
Well I now have 5 bikes. I think I have a problem. But this one is special to me.

I bought my dad’s first full dresser that he put at least 70k miles on. 1987 Electra Glide Custom. I was able to find out through a friend of a friend who owned it. I wrote the guy a letter and mailed it to him explaining the story rather than show up at his door. After a few months he called me out of the blue and invited me to come check it out.

Went over talked for a while while reminiscing over things dad did to the bike etc.He then let me take it for a ride. I’d never ridden this bike as I was 12 when he got it. It rode great. Loved it. Told him if he ever wanted to sell it to get in touch.

Well he called me yesterday and said he’d sell it for $3k. I said I’m on my way. Threw it on a trailer and brought it home. Slapped another plate from another bike on it and went riding. Rode all day. Felt close to dad. It was great.

Now it needs a lot of TLC. It’s old and weathered. Slowly and surely I’ll chug along and fix things. Already stripped it down. Fixed the original cassette radio and got it working. Took apart the rear passenger floorboards and repaired the spring and ball so they stay up. Eventually new saddlebags and all new hardware for the tour pac. Paint etc….

Last pic is my dad on this bike. Little bit of happiness for me. Rare thing these days so I’ll take it.

1AB0F146-66DA-42EC-A088-D50A63501C20.jpeg

DF4878BA-F28C-4804-9FFD-1B082D9F9F19.jpeg

6FF9C898-E0B6-4D95-94C8-8A2EF2E027C0.jpeg

4245EB2C-AE45-4A99-8303-63D509A0F1E2.jpeg

This is a great legacy for your dad....you will have a rolling memory and a great way to conduct your own therapy while riding and wrenching...

A bit of a similar side story of my own, I gave my son a 1986 pop up Katana that I had before he was born and have pictures of him as a baby sitting on it....now he owns it and has ridden it and cherishes it.

This is a great legacy for your dad....you will have a rolling memory and a great way to conduct your own therapy while riding and wrenching...

A bit of a similar side story of my own, I gave my son a 1986 pop up Katana that I had before he was born and have pictures of him as a baby sitting on it....now he owns it and has ridden it and cherishes it.
That’s awesome. I planned on these going to my son in a few years….but. Now it looks like my daughter and stepson will be getting them. He already rides, but my daughter doesn’t. Yet.

Back