Bought a Teknic Violator suit

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
So, some of you know I just started racing and am going to race school August 27th. I bought a set of leathers off of ebay from an ebay store. The Teknic Violator. I was looking at them because the guys I've riding with, who, for most part, are fairly experienced racers, said the Violator is a good suit for the money. Good armor, well padded, solid stitching, et cetera.

Anyone have experience with this suit. I should have frickin asked before I bought them. I haven't had a chance to try a set on yet. The guys offered to let me try their suits on to get an idea of size, but, sorry...that's kind of gross. I got enough of getting other guys' sweat and stanky ass grease on me in High School wrestling...

I am about 5'9"/5'10" depending on who's measuring my height.
laugh.gif
I have about a 49" chest and a 34/36" waist depending on brand/cut of jeans. My inseam runs about 32". So, the guys thought I'd take a size 44, but that chest size is only 44/45, and I have a problem finding nice fitting suit jackets...and finding a leather riding jacket that was not too tight through the shoulder and too long in the sleeves was real headache. So I took a size 46 suit. Think this will fit me? I think the sleeve length on a 48 would have been way too long.

teknic_violator.jpg

Jason,
Does the store have a return policy - if the suit doesn't fit? It may have been a good idea to try on one of those suits, or maybe a suit at a motorcycle shop? Find the right one and then order it specifically? I ask because I am going through that with my ICON TiMax pants. They are too long! I wouldn't mind, except the knee pockets aren't were they are supposed to be, so they offer no protection.

Jason,
Does the store have a return policy - if the suit doesn't fit?  It may have been a good idea to try on one of those suits, or maybe a suit at a motorcycle shop?  Find the right one and then order it specifically?  I ask because I am going through that with my ICON TiMax pants.  They are too long!  I wouldn't mind, except the knee pockets aren't were they are supposed to be, so they offer no protection.
Ahhhh, yes...good thought. I didn't try any on, and, yeah, they don't take returns. I got my measurements and tacked those on with my choice of color, so hopefully they'll consider that. I told them my measurements and that I thought I'd need a size 46. I should probably email them, hey? I'm going to do that now.

Jason,
Does the store have a return policy - if the suit doesn't fit?  It may have been a good idea to try on one of those suits, or maybe a suit at a motorcycle shop?  Find the right one and then order it specifically?  I ask because I am going through that with my ICON TiMax pants.  They are too long!  I wouldn't mind, except the knee pockets aren't were they are supposed to be, so they offer no protection.
Ahhhh, yes...good thought. I didn't try any on, and, yeah, they don't take returns. I got my measurements and tacked those on with my choice of color, so hopefully they'll consider that. I told them my measurements and that I thought I'd need a size 46. I should probably email them, hey? I'm going to do that now.
I'm here to help. I hope it works out!

I'm about your size, maybe a bit taller. Bought size 50 leathers, a little tight in the chest, but long in the arms. Overall fit is good.

I'm about your size, maybe a bit taller. Bought size 50 leathers, a little tight in the chest, but long in the arms. Overall fit is good.
All right! Maybe they'll be okay. I'm kind of a short, compact guy...so a few sizes smaller might be okay if you're taller. I guess I'll find out.
laugh.gif
I was in contact with the ebay store guy, and they take exchanges, just not returns unless there is something defective with the suit, et cetera.

Its usually a good idea to go up one size, Teknics are on the small side.

not sure if this will help much..

but I'm about 6'0 215 pnds.. 47" chest, 34" waist 36" inseam..

I wear a size 48 alpinestars one peice..

fits very well for my size.

I've seen several crashes at the track with guys wearing teknic suits and many of them rip out at the seams. I don't know much about teknic other than that. It could have been the ones that ripped out are just the cheap stuff? After seeing what the teknic suits look like after the crash I don't think I would buy one.

If you can afford it, buy a better suit. If you are headed to the track it may be less expensive to spend more up front on better gear than spending it later to patch up your hide? There is a guy at out local track that has crashed 16 times in a Taichi suit and it's still in decent shape. You get what you pay for in most cases.

I've seen several crashes at the track with guys wearing teknic suits and many of them rip out at the seams. I don't know much about teknic other than that. It could have been the ones that ripped out are just the cheap stuff? After seeing what the teknic suits look like after the crash I don't think I would buy one.

If you can afford it, buy a better suit. If you are headed to the track it may be less expensive to spend more up front on better gear than spending it later to patch up your hide? There is a guy at out local track that has crashed 16 times in a Taichi suit and it's still in decent shape. You get what you pay for in most cases.
I read alot about the Teknic Lightning suits...they all got horrible reviews. You're right. 99% of the reviews the guys said they ripped out at the seams, even commonly in slow speed soft crashes. The Violator got pretty good reveiws. The only bad thing, from what I read, was guys commonly said they were a little too snug in the crotch. Anyway, I hope this suit is stitched well...

Its usually a good idea to go up one size, Teknics are on the small side.
That's what the guy said. It turns out his communication and customer service skills are pretty good. We emailed back and forth a couple of times. He said from my meausurements he thought a size 44 would be a good fit, but if it is too tight or the leg/sleeve length is too long and the armor is not in the correct area, to send it back for a different size or different suit. I just need to make sure the tags are still attached. He sounded pretty cool.

It would be good if this fits right off the bat. In my search for a leather riding jacket I had to send a couple back and choose a different size, then a different brand, and so forth. It got to be kind of a headache. Buying online sometimes, though, is just so much cheaper than buying from a dealer in the area...Anyway, thanks for your input on this!
beerchug.gif

Back