Boss Hosses!

OB_KZZ1

Registered
Just curious about the v-8 powered Boss Hosses? Has anyone ever raced against
one? I have seen them around at motorcycle events and they sound awesome! It
would seem that a v-8 powered bike would kick some @#$# in a quater mile or
top end? Has anyone seen them on a drag strip?

From what I read about those things is that they do the 1/4 in low tens for the 325 hp versions and they top out at 160mph but they also said 160 is something you would only try once.I guess the bike is pretty unstable at that speed.

I saw my first V8 (Chev small block what else) run the 1/4 here in Toronto in l968.

The bike's name was Bloody Mary for those in Ontario and upstate New York who might also remember it.

It ran mid-low 10s on a 18" wide car slick. The starts were real smokey, then she hooked up for 200 yards and accelerated like a jack rabbit, then steering control problems set in and it had to be nursed to the traps.

This was the pattern every run. Nevertheless, it was a big attraction and toured the region's tracks on show money for the whole summer.

The concept of an automotive V8 on 2 wheels is basically a joke. A satire. A way to offend neighbors and their small dogs. A childish fantasy of flames and noise and smoke and rubber.

I wish I had one :)

I noticed some info on it recently in one of the US cycle mags and was surprised that it didn't run any better than 10's.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 23 October 1999).]

I remember some years back [ 60s and 70s ] there was a fellow that called himself the Michigan Madman, anyone remeber him? He used to run a v8 bike , dont remember the engine brand, he would smoke the tire all the way down the strip as a exhibition show, I think he ran in the 10s. Those Boss Hoss scare me just to look at them, I dont think they are a good idea but what do I know.

i understand you have to take off in a lean because of the torque trying to slam the bike down on its side.many years of drag racing cars has taught me that all the hp in the world is of no use if you cant hook and control it.
i had a vega with a 671 roots supercharged 460 cu. in. big block(dynoed at 967 hp) . i learned that lesson my first attempted pass in that ride.it made for some sweet kodak moments though!
the bosses are neat but they are basically exibition and cruising bikes,not drag bikes.

When I was in Sturgis this year,I had a chance to race a Boss Hoss, plus ride one.Of course I couldn't beat it with my 113in. Fatboy, but I did blow his a.s.s. off the road with my Busa.The Hoss has no way of hooking up on takeoff.You could actually burn the tire off,but I will tell you this once you get rolling & snap the throttle you better hang on,cause it will go.Top speed was around 165mph,it amazed me how well balenced it was for as large of a bike that it is.

Back