boostin compression

jimbob8915

Registered
Long time viewer first time poster....lol. I have read that the Busa suffers from poor exhaust cam specs and low compression. I am going to install a stock intake cam for the exhaust side and was wondering how much I can boost the compression with stock pistons. I know that GSXRs can have a Yoshimura head gasket (thinner) and .010 milled from head. Anyone tried this or know what gasket thickness and head mill will work.

(jimbob8915 @ Sep. 23 2006,21:07) Long time viewer first time poster....lol.  I have read that the Busa suffers from poor exhaust cam specs and low compression.  I am going to install a stock intake cam for the exhaust side and was wondering how much I can boost the compression with stock pistons.  I know that GSXRs can have a Yoshimura head gasket (thinner) and .010 milled from head.  Anyone tried this or know what gasket thickness and head mill will work.
Rather than mill an expensive head (Hayabusa heads cost approx $1,100 new), why not simply throw in some higher compression stock bore pistons? Wiseco makes 13:1 81mm (stock bore) pistons, which is 2 full points higher than the Hayabusa's stock 11:1 ratio and will in itself increase HP with appropriate fueling.

Or, go a step further and have the cylinders bored and throw in a set of 12.8:1 1397 JE pistons. So, for the cost of a piston set, a new base and head gasket, and another intake cam on the exhaust side, you'd be running stronger from the bottom to top of your engine.

I installed .378"/.330" Web cams and 12.3:1 81mm (stock bore) JE pistons and my engine runs stronger from idle to redline. I even use taller than stock gearing (19/43) and it pulls great even from idle. While the higher compression pistons strengthen the entire RPM range, you really notice a big difference in low end performance compared to stock because the cams do virtually nothing to the bottom end. Better caming generally affects the mid to high RPM ranges.

Hi, have heard of web cams are they any good, where would they be placed among the other camshaft manufactures, thanks tanker

You can reemove the base gasket and get a thinner than stock head gasket from Cometic and it would boost the compression.

It's done all the time.

I hope jimbob figured it out, oh 4+ years ago :laugh:

:welcome: tanker. You'll get better a response starting a new thread to ask you question.

Hi, have heard of web cams are they any good, where would they be placed among the other camshaft manufactures, thanks tanker

i watched a video about web cams, they weld everything up real good, looks way stronger than oem cams.

Back