Body Position

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I've attended a number of Jason Pridmore's Star Schools. As a current member I get emails from time to time from Jason on different subjects such as the one below on Body Position. If you are under the impression that if you only had some means such as foot anchors, bungie cords, tie down straps or seat belts to keep you firmly in place as you do the Marquez impersonation around a sweeper, you should read what Jason has to say about Body Position.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Friend,

A couple of weeks ago we asked you to update your contact information with us and answer a couple of questions. If you have not done that, go ahead and do that here.

One of those questions had to do with what skill you wanted to work on most.
The results were very interesting. Over 30% of you said Body Position.

So I thought I would follow that up with some insight.
I hope you find this helpful.

So many questions surround correct body position. It's the one thing I have to tackle at every school or track day I attend.

If I am being honest, I have to laugh at some of the stuff I see on track and even more at some of the stuff I hear. I am not sure when we lost sight of complete reality. I do know our sport is about 2 things, speed and lean angle. However, you cannot teach everyone the same thing, even crazier to me is all this Moto GP talk. Yah, I know it’s cool to want to compare ourselves to the likes of Rossi and Marquez but let’s be real. None of us have or are riding Moto GP bikes are we? How can we compare ourselves to the elite in our sport when we are riding our 2009 Streetbike. Even a current Superbike is based off a production 1000cc motorcycle. And tell me, what is wrong with how Josh Hayes, current 4 time AMA Superbike Champion rides or sits on a bike. Have you seen how 4 time BSB Champion Shane Byrne sits on
a bike? Go have a look. Tom Sykes, Jonathon Rea, study
them all.

Ok, so I'm not cool because I'm not telling you to drag your elbow, or put your head below your handlebars, I am sorry. You see, as your speed increases and lean becomes more important, then your body position changes. At 64 degrees of lean angle do you think Marc Marquez's body position is the same as when he is at 35 degrees of lean angle? Think about it;
• What is your lean angle?
• What do you think your bikes greatest lean angle is?
These are questions that are truly going to determine what your body position can get to.

So where is a good place to start? How about, what is comfortable. Think about when you ride to the grocery store. Why should you vary too much from that? You know how many people I come up on at a track day that have been taught to hang off a bike and they have 20 degrees of lean angle, they look so uncomfortable and awkward, I just don't get it.

If you are looking to be a Social Media hero then keep hanging off more than you need to. If you want to be a more efficient rider, get less tired and feel what your bike is doing under you then stop over exaggerating what you are doing on the bike. If you want to get to the checkered flag first model yourself after someone who is riding a bike similar to what you are. The Moto GP comparison just isn't realistic.

Ride safe,

Sincerely,
Jason Pridmore
Star Motorcycle School
mail@starmotorcycle.com

It's a mind altering drug found in jelly & jam made from the gubegaba fruit. Prized by many who charm snakes during religious ceremonies in a selected few southern states. Makes the mind loose it's ability to reason between fact and fiction? :shocked:

I love this post and I agree with this information. This is how I ride but I was afraid to mention it here among all the knee draggers. I am a street rider and I ride to the edge of my tire. I rarely hang off and when I do it's only enough to make the turn and my knee is usually well above the ground. I consider myself a faster than average rider but you would have to ride with me to know for sure. After I learned about chicken strips from this Org. I started to check the tires of all the sportbikes that I see parked. I have no chicken strips at all by the time my tire is worn enough to change. I was surprised to see wide chicken strips on the majority of 600 and 1000 cc sportbikes. I find it tiring and unnecessary to shift my body weight all the way over from side to side to make each turn. I can corner at the same speed without doing that. Also IMHO there is a bit of posing involved in this style of cornering and I would rather just be comfortable and save my strength.

I used to hang with the best of them on the roads around here but now (stretched and lowered for drags and speed) I have large chicken strips. I never say much to others with a large chicken strip because our roads aren't meant to ride to the edge, that is for the track. Yes its fun and takes a little bit of crazy but there are too many variables on the road. I've seen a lot of people get off their seat to try to knee down and they are just making their bike unstable and dangerous. One of the reasons I stopped doing all the crazy riding I used to do. I think everyone should try a track day they are a great thing if you listen to the instructors.

Back