blown engine

slammiam

Registered
So the worst fear comes true.  I have a pillion rider, shift 2nd, 3rd, take it to 9-10,000 rpms, about to shift again, boom ! rattle, rattle, smoke and oil everywhere.  Wtf?  I pull over, pull off the right front fairing, and between the starter gear and oil filter the lower engine case is severely cracked !  Could I please have some advice on what to do?  I hope my whole engine isn't shot.

It's an '00 busa, 14,500 miles, I've ran synthetic for the last 5,000 miles. Always changed regularly.

<!--EDIT|slammiam
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110754870 -->

Hey since dude said you only paid 3k for it part it out and you should be able to get more than that for it...hell tell you what ill even take tour rear tire
smile.gif

coulda thrown a shift fork or something.... no idea... post some pics.

(still working on borrowing a camera)

I started slowly replaying the events that lead up to my engine blowing. I remembered that right before I shifted, the rpms skyrocketed...I remember hearing the engine wind up and keep going past the rev limiter after I backed off the throttle before it went boom. I remember thinking, "why is it still winding up?".

I'm going with broken rod, with the rpm increase due to loss of one cylinder. I'm guessing you haven't had the bike too long and do you know much about its last owner?
You can get Busa cases, although they arent cheap anymore and hopefully salvage most of your motor

Wonder why the rev limiter didn't kick in?? Non-stock software? This motor was built to handle high RPM, should have been fine. There isn't many rides on mine where I don't bounce the limiter at least a few times. It will be interesting to find out what gave up....keep use posted! Sorry for your loss but look at this as an opportunity to build the replacement engine right....1397?? Ya, BDE billet cams, etc...at least have fun with it....

Back