Bit of the local wildlife

KennyMac

Registered
I was working out in the shed this morning when some visitors stopped by. Dad was out taking the kids for a walk. Friendly fella. In fact there was two families and they no I'm a soft touch for sharing my breakfast. Thought I would take some pics of it because it is unusual, even for Australia. We have a really bad drought down here and there isn't much for the guys to eat so they live on handouts at the moment. Sorry for the multiposts but photobucket is down at the moment. Hope you get a kick out of the pictures.

regards,
glen.

1.jpg

They ate a handful of bread and then they left. The males look after the chicks (which are about 3 1/2 feet tall) until they are grown. This poor bastard has nine. Thats a big family. Usually it is 3-4. He had a bit of a barney with another male who rocked up once he heard there was food about. Freaks the kids out becuase they run at about 60km/h straight at you and stop on a dime. The two males were going at it with this weird arse dinosaur noise coming out of those holes in the base of their skulls. It's not a ear, it is some sort of dump exhaust (for want of a better term). At night, the kangaroos come in. Sometimes as many as 40. They aren't moving for anyone. Nothing breaks up your thought pattern then a kangaroo skidding across the workshop floor (don't go so well on concrete) , tools and crap going everywhere. Trying to boot the silly critter out before he makes a real mess. kind of like a bird who flys in through an open window except the big buggers are over the 100 kilo mark and can put up a decent fight.

Lucky you, at least they're fun to look
SHOCKED.gif
 at. The only thing I have to just walk up around here is coyotes ! Of course they eat all the unwanted rabbits
laugh.gif

WoW ! Big Ugly chickens and Kangaroo's ? Kind of like the deer that I have in my yard all the time ....I guess ?

2005_vacations_030.jpg

that kool. all i get in my yard is a big ole stinkin possum .............
all_coholic.gif

I use to raise them here in Texas. Rhea too. Looking for some old pics. I do miss my birds.

We always had deer, groundhogs and skunks in the yard and around the barn when I was growing up. My parents still have the place, but the traffic seems to thin out when we visit with my shephard / pitbull / retriever mix. She's already offed a few groundhogs, trashed a skunk (unfortunately, not until the skunk sprayed her pretty good), and took a tour of the area chasing a group of deer who were making their way across the yard. Other than the skunks, it was always pretty neat to see the wildlife up close.

lurk.gif
Cool, deer and squirrels of late, possoms like dog food if you leave it outside. See a little bit of everything around here.

Back