Big intank fuel pump

Here's a couple of internal shots showing the difference between a Walbro and ours. The vane type is the new one.

DSC01929.JPG

DSC01930.JPG

I really wanted to get an adjustable regulator inside the tank but it just wasn't going to happen. So I came up with this idea. It works really well. I tried hard to get the return into the tank without cutting the tank but it just beat me. Now that I have cut the tank I don't need to cut back the washers and nut holding the return connector in place. In this instance I have just left the regulator hanging off the hoses but in future I would probably make a bracket and fit it alongside the plenum. I set the fuel pressure at 4 bar with boost increasing it 1:1 from there. removed the guage and blanked it off. What do you think?

DSC01881.JPG

DSC01882.JPG

DSC01969.JPG

DSC01973.JPG

DSC01974.JPG

DSC01975.JPG

DSC01979.JPG

DSC01977.JPG

DSC01978.JPG

How do I go about getting one?

Why,

Turbos on bikes are faster on Busa's than any supercharger on one..
I would buy from Big CC, RCC or Velocity before I would run a supercharger.

Flame suit on..

A supercharger has a greater amount of linear power and more instant response however a supercharged Busa has never made more than 550 HP as I recall where a turbo Busa has made over 720 hp from Big CC in England and an NLR Hybrid kit made 701 on the Dyno in the states a few years ago in competition..many people I am sure have made more however not in front of hundreds of people in public at a show or HP shootout.

John

500 hp was good enuf for the ghost rider ;)
All that heat to deal with and having to overdrive a turbo to stave off turbo-lag.. not efficient at all. I would like to see a simple bolt on kit of a Whipple or roots type coming off say where the alt is etc that yields 250hp with no mods. Seems possible but all the available kits require big bux to install, maybe one day we'll need this fuel pump for something like that?

Problem with a roots or Whipple is there isn't enough room, they are twice the size and weight of a Rotrex for the same or less output. Great bottom end performance but couldn't touch a Rotrex on mid range or top end where we bikers need it. I looked at superchargers for a long time before going the Rotrex route. Its right for the job.

i'm more a fan of turbos personally, but this fuel setup you've got here definitely has my attention. well done.

quick question, wouldn't you be sending aerated fuel right near the fuel pickup? wouldn't that cause the pump to cavitate at high load?

the return is over 3 inch away from pick up and pointing away from it. I have absolutely no problem with this set up it works perfectly. The pressure is 100% stable.

what about when the fuel level is lower than say, 1/4 tank? with a pump pushing that much liquid at those kind of pressures, i don't see how you'd be able to avoid aerating the fuel at lower levels.

OK all I can say is this. I don't have a problem. If I did i would do something about it. That would be easy as the return pipe inside the tank is barb's and all I have to do is put a stiff fuel resistant pipe on it long enough to put the fuel back in higher up, like the factory. BUT its not a problem. The fuel is being picked up from low down in the swirl pot. Although this is a new design. I have run extrenal fuel pumps and had the return and the pick up in a plate replacing the fuel pump housing before. I had the pick collecting from the back of the tank and the return just a cople of inches straight up and even that didn't cause a problem with only a gallon or less while drag racing. I think what I have is well safe and if you wanted to put the return further away then you can do it easily.

Will this pump or any other high volume pump change AFR readings. I was wondering sense i just put this pump in will I need to retune? If so I guess I will just have to enjoy an nice day out riding with my laptop hooked up. HEHEHE

Just curious...will the standard fuse hold the pumps extra juice~?~

Does it surge any more fuel than stock and require any retuning at all if no other changes are made right away~?~

Edit:::oops, looks like he beat me to it

Since there's a regulator and you're not changing the pressure the tune should be unchanged. Unless you were already losing pressure at the top of the revs from your old setup.

My guess would be that you may have to bump the fuse up by 5 to prevent it from blowing but that's just a guess based on other pumps. I don't have any experience with the pump you have.

Back