Best stretch?

I ordered some 3-9 exts from Josh @ ball z . Where should I put it? I only want to do the chain once. Stock is 59.5 " right?, so 6 over would be 65.5" . So maybe set it closer to 64?

Last edited:
Stock is 58 1/2 so +6" is 64 1/2. I would recomend going out to 8" to start with that leaves room to tighten chain. If you do not like it you can always remove more links and just cost yourself a set of master links. Now say you start at 63" and want to go longer you will be looking at either a new chain again or adding a extra piece in with 2 sets of master links which myself included would not recommend. Here is a pic from both sides of my '04 Busa sitting at 64 1/2"
Busa 33.jpg
Busa 36.jpg

Busa 33.jpg

Busa 36.jpg

Thanx Wolfman -thats great advice, and your bike looks kick-ass. Im thinkin thats what i'll do. :beerchug:

Remember to figure out what gears you want to run before you start cutting your chain. Even a small change like going from 40 to 42 teeth will move the wheel in some. I bought about four master links at once and I started at +6" and I could not hold traction out here in the streets of Las Vegas even with a Shinko stealth tire on the back (all of this was last year before I went turbo). Also with 6" stretch you loose wheel clearance because the center of the tire is now at the end of your fender. I could not ride two up stetched at 6", when I did try, the first bump in the road folded the license plate above the wheel.

I replaced the master link, cut off some more chain links tried again at 5". Traction was much better but still slippery on the city streets and highway. 4.5" stretch is what works well for me and it definitely helps at the dragstrip. May not be the best dragstrip setup length but I do 95% of my riding off the dragstrip. I did have to go with a tiger tail to get more clearance above the tire. I would up with a 2" rear and about .75" drop in the front to get the bike to set rite. Remember when you go with extensions it really raises the seat height because of the angle is the swingarm. So to make the bike look rite you have to lower the rear suspension. When you lower the rear then to prevent the chopper look you need to lower the front slightly.

The changes will definitely help but think it thru first because you start creating other issues at the same time.

So many choices ! All your bikes look great. The thing is I dont really ride too many twistys, just some city/ secondary road riding. I want it to rock and cut down on wheel lift at the strip. I have ordered a Soupys front and rear lowering kit. Its here now, Im just looking for a chain tool to get started.

Oh, another quick question before I take it apart... Can I change the front sprocket after I have all this installed? If not Im gonna have to wait until Schnitz order comes in to do it.

Since we have some black/purple scoots flexing the stretch, I thought i'd get in on the party with my 6 inch stretch

Picture 033.jpg

So do gen 2 still come up at track with basic bolt ons at 4 over? Or 6 over? Want long enough to keep it down and short enough to save power

Back