Best price on Battery Tender?

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
I picked up an el-cheapo 'battery tender' like device from Harbor Frieght last month and had it maintenance-charging my brand new HD battery while I'm completing my winter project work on it. Worked fine for about a month but last Sunday when I was doing some wiring I discovered the voltage on the battery had dropped to 5v - YIKES!
shutup.gif
 The Harbor Frieght unit still had it's little charge light glowing so it looked like it was working but obviously it wasn't.  
ohsnap1.gif

Honestly I didn't expect much from the unit given it was only $5.95 but still, it would have been nice if there was some warning that it'd failed. So, I'm in the market for a new Battery Tender, who has the best prices..? Anybody know some good deals, I've tried eBaying and Googling but the shipping costs usually offset the minimal discount offered online so I've come to the fount of all things good regarding bikes, the Oracle known as the .ORG...  
laugh.gif

Thanks.
-Jim

I picked up 2 battery tenders from Walmart, i think they cost just under $20. I have had them on there for several months now and seem to working fine.

You get what you pay for. I picked up a battery tender last year for $15.00 at a bike show and it is working great. Pretty much every bike online site out there sells battery tenders. If you go to a bike show or bike swap meet somebody there will be selling them. You won't find one for the cheap price of the one you just bought, but they will last a long time.

Yuasa smartshot. $50 up here but you plug it in and forget about it all winter. It comes with the clamps for the battery post and also comes with a quick connect hard wire kit. I plug mine in every time I park it in the garage.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=88636
Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger
Fully automatic 3 level charge cycle for effective charging
Reaches 14.4 volt peak, then automatically switches to float
Reverse polarity protection
2 year limited warranty
Download the 12V 900mA Charger Safety Instructions (a PDF file)

MSRP: $39.95 Product Number: YUA1200901

Yuasa smartshot. $50 up here but you plug it in and forget about it all winter. It comes with the clamps for the battery post and also comes with a quick connect hard wire kit. I plug mine in every time I park it in the garage.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=88636
Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger
Fully automatic 3 level charge cycle for effective charging
Reaches 14.4 volt peak, then automatically switches to float
Reverse polarity protection
2 year limited warranty
Download the 12V 900mA Charger Safety Instructions (a PDF file)

MSRP: $39.95 Product Number: YUA1200901
Thats the one.....i likes it.
thumb_up.gif

I picked up 2 battery tenders from Walmart, i think they cost just under $20. I have had them on there for several months now and seem to working fine.
I also picked up 2 Schumacher motorcycle specific charger/float maintainers from wal-mart for 18.97..very nice units....charges AND float maintains your battery. They come with permanent leads for the battery....so you just ride in, park, and plug in....no bike parts to remove
winkold.gif
Been working great so far. I've read of a few battery tenders quitting....one guy had a charger that didn't go into float mode (I think it was a battery tender...not sure tho
dunno.gif
)....boiled his battery dry..then caused a fire and burned his house down. 340,000 dollars in damages
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif
It could prolly happen with any charger...but Schumachers a brand name and I trust them more than battery tenders myself
winkold.gif
Still...I check my bikes regularly....and always unplug the chargers when I go on vacation ect. Plus I'm in and outta the garage every day when home, so I'd prolly catch something like that before it got that far....hopefully
wowold.gif

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

winkold.gif

I also picked up 2 Schumacher motorcycle specific charger/float maintainers from wal-mart for 18.97..very nice units....charges AND float maintains your battery. They come with permanent leads for the battery....so you just ride in, park, and plug in....no bike parts to remove  
winkold.gif
 Been working great so far. I've read of a few battery tenders quitting....one guy had a charger that didn't go into float mode (I think it was a battery tender...not sure tho  
dunno.gif
)....boiled his battery dry..then caused a fire and burned his house down. 340,000 dollars in damages  
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif
 It could prolly happen with any charger...but Schumachers a brand name and I trust them more than battery tenders myself  
winkold.gif
 Still...I check my bikes regularly....and always unplug the chargers when I go on vacation ect. Plus I'm in and outta the garage every day when home, so I'd prolly catch something like that before it got that far....hopefully  
wowold.gif
+1 That's the one I'm using, works great. A friend of mine had a Battery Tender that went bad, let him use my charger, now he swears by them.

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif
dunno.gif
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif
winkold.gif
wowold.gif
+1 That's the one I'm using, works great. A friend of mine had a Battery Tender that went bad, let him use my charger, now he swears by them.
I have one too. It works great.

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

winkold.gif

Back