Bash and Hayabusa Bash

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
We have received questions and comments about the Bash and messages flared up again today with the announcement of the Hayabusa Bash in Sept. So for ALL oRg'sters, here is my comment:)

I have attended the Spring and/or Fall Bash whenever possible for the last eight years. I have met the very best of my friends at these meet and greets. I surprisingly learned at my very first Bash how close-knit riders who are separated geographically could become when converging on a fantastic riding area bonded by a shared enthusiasm for motorcycling.

For me, it was especially strong because of the shared connection to a specific motorcycle. At my first Bash I didn't know anyone. However, as I approached people, I found them to be open and friendly. I was willing to learn and the people at the Bash were willing to teach. The majority of the people at the Bash were members of the Hayabusa.org website. It was there that the coordination and information were handled. But it wasn't an oRg "thing". It belonged to the members who put effort into it. Since a lot of the Mods/Admins from the oRg attened, questions, comments and complaints often got referred to them, but they weren't in a leading, managing or directing role...

For all of us, the connecting link was the Hayabusa. Gen I's were at the height of their popularity and were the meanest things on the road. I remember being overwhelmed by the motorcycles, by the people, and by the curves we traveled together. It was obvious as soon as I arrived that everyone was looking out for everyone, they were looking for an enjoyable time and they were looking to make great memories through a shared experience.

We worked on each other's scooters and we swapped parts. We did maintenance, we did mods and WE RODE! The magic happened when something unfortunate and in some cases tragic happened. The way the people came together to help reconstruct wrecked bikes, to be with people in the hospital, to loan bikes, cars, etc... It was a wonderful environment to be in when so many people worked together.

The organization would be rough and loose, there were occasional planned rides but really, there were two planned events... A group photo and a meal... At times people were happy and at times they weren't, but we kept coming because it was a great group of people. For me, it became family and it was my friends or friends of friends. At times, some of us complained because the bash was too big... Too many people we didn't know who didn't always have the same attitude or expectations that the majority did. But it was still fun and workable.

At times people have branched off with the intention of improving things, and making things better. But here is something that I have learned. Better and worse are very subjective terms. It is much more accurate to say different rather than better... Or worse...

Now, why am I writing this? Well, I want to explain the differences between the Bashes and the Hayabusa Bashes that many members have asked questions about. To me, the Bashes are meet and greets and the Hayabusa Bashes are planned events. If i had the resources, I would go to both... For different reasons.

The Spring and Fall Bashes are loose and fun and centered around people doing what they wanted to do and ride where they wanted to ride with a few target times and some planned rides together. We ate together and took photos, but some of the best times were sitting around the fire pit telling lies and laughing about the days events.

The Hayabusa Bash that will happen in May is a first. It has no history other than some of the people who will attend. Aside from the name and photos, most everything is happening for the first time. It is organized, with food and entertainment provided and scheduled rides and routes planned. It is open to all and openly advertised separately from the oRg and outside of the Hayabusa community. For me, it is that level of organization and open participation that I turn away from because of the impersonal atmosphere that I feel it would be.

Anyone who has been at a Bash that I have attended knows where they can find me 90% of the time I am in Robbinsville... Because I enjoy it. None of this means that the Hayabusa Bash is or will be better or worse, it is to say that it will be different. I want what I have always had at the Bash.

This month, I will likely attend my last Bash. I don't have the time to go to all the events, meets, concerts, trackdays, graduations, etc., that I want to, so I choose to be with my friends when and where it is our friendships that are the focus, not the event we are attending.

The oRg is an amazing place. People like some of the things that happen and dislike other things. Sometimes it may seem like the oRg's little corner of the webbernet is a little smaller now days... But every person who wanted something different and left to start something new took some of the oRg with them... In that sense, the oRg's reach is farther than we could have possibly imagined, because what is good about us is now being spread out to others via the different websites and efforts that sprang from your knowledge and willingness to build a community.

So, where's the new meet and greet? We need to make some plans yo!!!

My house is always open to you guys. Although usually there's still snow in April :rofl:

Thanks for posting this Shawn. It's likely my last Bash too; time to look forward to other rides and meets and I can only hope to see familiar faces as well as make new friends sharing the same passion that we all have shared for so many years. :) Next!!

P.S. Bots, move further south so we can show up in the spring :rofl:

Seriously gang, if there's enough of an interest, let's talk about making some new plans in 2015 :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Agreed; I don't want all the structure. Part of what drew me in was the 'informality' of the event. I enjoy riding whenever, wherever, with whomever. Sure, there are times when a group will start making some plans just to get a general consensus, but aside from a group photo and a meal or two, I'm just as happy going on a short ride as I am hanging back at 'base camp' wrenching on bikes with great friends.

In the end just have fun!

Now, where we meeting up next?

Thanks for posting this Shawn. It's likely my last Bash too; time to look forward to other rides and meets and I can only hope to see familiar faces as well as make new friends sharing the same passion that we all have shared for so many years. :) Next!!

P.S. Bots, move further south so we can show up in the spring :rofl:

Seriously gang, if there's enough of an interest, let's talk about making some new plans in 2015 :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

I believe Colorado is the place :p You know the roads and the state.. Start organizing :) :poke:

lots of ideas have been circulated but if the group seems ready for it, lets start the discussions for real. I'm going to be back south soon I hope so will make it easier for me to get to stuff :)

My house is always open to you guys. Although usually there's still snow in April :rofl:

Sweet, wont have to go far to kick it with Everyone! Steve lives in the same City as Me! Let the Party begin! May for sure though, April sucks this year here in Wisconsin!:beerchug:

I'm Biased, But there really are some great routes. 4 corners area is nice and warm and there are some good riding. Or go further up into the mountains like Vail or Estes Park. The Skyway, million dollar highway. Moab is close for some 4 wheel and two wheel fun

I'm Biased, But there really are some great routes. 4 corners area is nice and warm and there are some good riding. Or go further up into the mountains like Vail or Estes Park. The Skyway, million dollar highway. Moab is close for some 4 wheel and two wheel fun

I'm biased too, my birth state and all :D

My Mom and sister live there...great reasons to head out! :)

Great roads, beautiful scenery, adventure awaits! :thumbsup:

Being an original bash person and having attended many events around the country, I can say one of the best events I've ever been to was the Meet N Greet in Copper Mountain in 2005. Was perhaps the biggest domestic events and honestly the roads in that area were amazing. If it was planned right, I could totally make the trip out there again :)

I wish i had better skills for organizing... Hmmmm maybe Russ though he is close and is good at taht stuff

I could trailer the busa out with the jeep, fun no matter what roads we take.

Sent from my JKU!

Ok...some may not think I have a place to say anything but I would like to anyway because this whole ordeal is getting a bit aggravating and honestly I can't just sit here while a certain few bash the work we have put in. So...

The last few bashes that I have attended were a nice getaway for some riding time. However, the only people who really mingled with others were (now) members of the "new hayabusa bash." They were the ones who have accepted me as part of the group and always made sure I was having a good time. Like I've said before, I have met maybe one mod in the past couple years. And in the past couple of years there has been no more than 20 people in attendance. I strongly believe this is because of the very little advertisement concerning the event. While it was not my idea to change the date or start promoting, I will back up those who chose to because I believe it is in the best interest of the Bash. TELL ME, what is so wrong with getting more people involved who have a common interest??? What is wrong with getting sponsors to spread the word and send YOU home with free merchandise?? You may think that it is 'impersonal' but why?? How? When I attended previous Bashes, people sat on the swings, staring at the fire having small conversations while other cliques sat inside doing who knows what. I also have heard promises of shirts in the past that were never received. So instead of people sitting around a fire not saying much, we have music to enjoy. Music to keep us awake longer, fill up our cups, let our guards down and get to know each other better. Instead of having different plans for dinner, we will have it all right there so everyone can eat together...and nobody has to do anything.

I will be the first to admit that, yes, it probably should have been discussed before a new date was set. But like I've said before, I have doubts that some people would let there be ANY changes. I know none of us never expected any of this 'drama' to happen but I can see why people would be upset. And as it's been told many times, the ONLY reason the date was changed was because of weather issues. This was NOT out of spite of ANYONE. We shouldn't have to apologize or feel bad for wanting better weather so that everyone can enjoy more riding time. But, I guess this is what you get if you ASS-U-ME people will understand when you're trying to do something good. As for the name, it was not planned to be a seperate event, so why would we change the name? However, since it appears that some DO want it to be seperate, we might consider a name change in the future. The photos...all the photos on our pages were either purchased by a member (of the 'new' group) or taken by me...at the same place for the same reason. I don't see why that would be a problem.

We are not making registration mandatory to come to the bash. Sorry, HAYABUSA BASH. Anyone is welcome because this is about riding. While many of the bikes will be 'busas, we DO welcome all bikes (like previous bashes have) because this is about people with a common interest getting together, meeting people, making new friends and having a good time. I am completely honest when I say, that all of us on this 'side' wish everyone could put their pride aside and enjoy time together at the event being held May 7-11.
Afterall, nobody owns the 'Hayabusa Bash.' It is simply a generic title that (now) describes two bike-loving groups who go back and forth voicing their opinions while bashing each other.
I would say we should just forget all our differences and move on but...I can't think of any differences we have.

Ma'am,
We haven't met... And I agree that it is unfortunate. What has happened is that as this has gone on, people have become more adamant in their positions especially when comments that were intentionally snide and simply interpreted as such.

The reality, is that as hard as it is to believe, some people were happy with the bash being smaller- and I don't just mean the mods. But, to be fair, there is a lot of rationalizing about what has happened and there is more under the surface than people want to admit to. I posted my opinion because we started receiving questions about the Fall Bash that was being advertised in every Busa medium possible, except this one.

This is not to slam the Hayabusa Bash, it is simply to say publically what I have come to believe and understand... I have wished RacerV a successful event and I hope the new event is exactly what the people want it to be.

I hate that it is referred to as a 'new' event. We simply think of it as 'improved.' Ten people last year...there might have been, what, 6 this time? That can't be THAT fun. I believe RacerV chose to keep the Fall date because of the issues with the change for the Spring. No, it is not necessarily up to him but it's hard to tell if Org mods will be attending any more Bashes...so he kept the date in hoping that they will. However, since some people have already said this year might be the last one, I guess it wouldn't make a difference.
I'm sure some things were said with intent but usually it is a 'cause and effect' situation. While some people think they are just defending themselves, others tend to take it too personally and lash back unintentionally. I do not know all the details to any underlying factors, nor do I wish to, I just hope everyone can make the best judgement possible before discarding any longtime friends.

If you all choose to follow through with a new event, we also wish you the best. There are enough riders around the world to share. :)

ok so my 2cs for what its worth.

I was one of the original bash organizers with warbaby and others. The bash happened for years before VMan and others began participating in it and the very first one was only 13 of us. Its always been "run" by those with the time, energy, passion to organize it. The largest bash ever, in no small part due to folks like VMan, was in 2007 with something like 200 people in attendance. Those images have made the rounds all over most any busa page, heck I think they've been used by both groups for this year's event. The event has had its share of issues since day one. The first bash, first day we had someone go over the end of wheelie hill. The "resort" was still in its original state, the rooms...heh metal bunk beds and the bathrooms you shared with various spiders and other critters. Hell the room we had you were sitting on the throne with your feet in the shower LOL Most every spring event has had its share of negative events. There's been a fall bash most years since the beginning and heck there's even been some biscuit bashes mixed in as well :)

Things we tried along the way: organized rides, registration fees, t-shirts, vendor supplied goodies, non-organized rides, the "here's a route if you want it" approach and the various one off rides where someone said "hey I'm going this way tomorrow, if you want to come be here at X time".

The bash was never officially sponsored by anyone, though I think one year the NC/TN Highway Patrol probably could have been who we sponsored on year :laugh: The year we tried registration fees for organized meals and t-shirts and release of liability forms for the organizers.... well I'm sure its still in the history here go have a look. It went over like a hot, wet, morbid fart in church. In fact I'm not sure it went even that well. Folks hated the idea, clearly there's still some in that mindset from what I've seen around places.

Through the years we had some folks that really embraced the idea and ability that they could cook for large groups of people AND to make it better the food was pretty good. This spawned from the fact that there, until 2008-2009 time frame, wasn't squat to eat in the bustling metropolis of Robbinsville. The cool place at the Phillips didnt exist. Many of the other food spots in town, just weren't there. There was McDonalds, and not that fancy one they have now, a chinese place you wouldn't let you dog eat at and a BBQ spot that, well sucked. So it was a natural progression that we had some type of food event. Until then it was always folks bringing food and sharing. Kevin always brought the most amazing brat patties and OMG everyone waited patiently for their share of them.

The bash is and was as Shawn says for folks of a like mind to go ride, hang out and enjoy the time together. There has since the very first event been a group that wanted to ride hard, fast, technical and leave at sun up and come back hoping like hell there was still food or at least a fire to cook on. There was also the play it by ear, if we ride out at noon and sit around at the overlook for an hour so what group. There's always been a "dragon" group, a "skyway" group and the wanderers. One year we tried to mix things up with doing a ride over to the Ruby/Sapphire mines. Was a great ride, folks had fun, found some gems and we spent the day just blowing around back roads. But in the end through all the changes folks just showed up because they wanted to see friends, make new ones and enjoy the ride.

Sometime along the way it was perceived that the Org had "taken over" the bash. Many, including myself were miffed by the way things were handled and have spent time apart, away or have never come back. Now this year there's something new. I have friends in both groups. I'm not taking sides. If I could make either or both I would go because honestly the area kicks ass and the folks are fun to see.

I do see and will say what others might not. Anyone that knows me knows I'm not PC by any means. There is a history between the Org and Scar. I dont know and dont care how it got to it but there's clearly history and its not good. Both have their positions, I'm not weighing in on either. I'm still friends with both sides. I do see now how ISHOC is blossoming into its own, its now a sponsor of the new bash. I have to wonder if perhaps there's a rub there. I have to ask if that's behind this rift but honestly dont care what the answer is. I'm still going to be friends with both groups of folks, I just hate that suddenly there's new drama unfolding. I wish both groups great success. I think there's plenty of room for multiple events all over the country or around the world. I do find it unfortunate that folks have to make decisions on which events they attend through the year but gas is around $4/gal, few folks have the liquid cash or time to haul all over so they have to make decisions.

This was the advice a wise man told me before I organized my very first get together and my advice to anyone that is now or plans to organize an one. If you want to do something, plan it for yourself. Plan it as if NO ONE but you is going and approach it as such. Offer others the opportunity to join you and plan contingencies if folks show up BUT in the end do it for yourself. That way you can go, have fun, do your thing and hopefully you have a ton of folks show up to do it with you.

Dang it where is RSD when you need him :whistle:

Back