Back-Pack Vs Tank-Bag

G

I like a close fitting climbers backpack about 2000 cu in. Good enough for a weekend but doesn't flap in the slipstream. I also have a Marsee 20 litre tank bag. If I had it to do over I would get a little smaller tank bag. Perhaps 14 litre.

We all know we'll go down on our bikes again, the question is when?
In most spills, we get up and shake it off. While the bike needs a
new clip-on, mirror, signal, and a good buff.

Now say you have a nice 35mm camera or a fancy new digital camera in
your tank-bag or saddle-bags...ouch!

If you would have had a real nice over-the-shoulder pack you probably still
would have that nice camera to take a picture of the wreck with.
(unless you are BigEd)

I prefer to keep luggage attached to the bike rather than me. My worry is always about injuries I could incurr by landing and whatever I carry in a back pack.

I shared an office last year with a volunteer fireman who works the Santa Cruz mountains (twisties). I had the unfortunate experience of hearing about all of the motorcycle accidents he had responded to each weekend.

It was VERY common for bikers wearing shoulder strap packs (like laptop case straps - the kind that sweep across the chest from shoulder to ribs) to get their throats all ripped up in the course of the fall. He was not sure if the packs got hung up on something or if it was just the concentrated load of the strap on the shoulders/neck during sliding, but he said getting an airway was ususally impossible due to the damage (trying not to be too graphic here).

I decided never to wear anything that has a strap near my neck when I ride.

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 04 January 2000).]

GoBig,

I had a Chase Harper Stealth bag on the tank of the R1 when I hit that truck last year. There was a camera in the bag along with sum other stuff. When the tank snapped off the bike and followed me down the road so did the bag. The straps tore out of the bag but everything inside survived. In fact thy used the bag as a pillow for me wile I was sill on the side of the road. I would go with the tank bag. Thy have been crash tested by yours truly.

Good point GoBig (if you're still listening). It never occurred to me that a crash while wearing a backpack might choke me. Thanx for the tip.

OK, OK, I'm hooked! I just had to come back and read so i may as well post.

I like my neck more then anything i could place in a bag.

I'm sold.

Thanks

Back