tank bag advice

EdC

Registered
After seeing photos of a Joe Rocket tank bag on someone's bike on another site, I used the link that was furnished and ordered one.

It arrived today and I tried putting it on with the magnets and the straps. I don't care for the look of the flaps that contain the magnets hanging down the sides of the tank. They overlap with my tank protector and actually hang down onto the fairing side panels. I also can see where using the rear under-tank strap would be a nusance when filling the fuel tank if the strap is adjusted tight enough to hold the bag in place properly. So I'm considering cutting off the flaps, using the front strap that goes around the front end of the fuel tank and just laying a magnet in each corner of the bag's interior. The bottom of the bag is rubber-coated just like the flaps, so tank protection and grip would remain intact. When I gave it a trial run, the bag seemed to be as secure as it is with the magnets in the flaps.

Just in case there is a flaw in my plan that I'm not seeing, I'd like some opinions of what I'm about to do. I don't want to ruin the bag only to find that flaw the hard way. The anchors for the rear under-tank strap would also have to be removed to get the flaps off, so this is a modification from which there is no return.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

Yeah, I would just send the whole thing back.  The magnets on their "Wings" are designed to increase surface contact.  You remove those flaps and put ANY sort of weight inside the bag it's not going to stay put, every time it shifts around, it's scratching your paint.

So, send the thing back, or sell it on ebay and check out the "Rocketlocker" or use a backpack/tailpack.  IMHO,  Given all the alterations you want to make you'll be pretty unhappy with it no matter what.

So yeah, I would move on and try again...

Rev

The absolute worse thing you can have happen? Is a tank bag shifting around just a little bit, scratching the shid outta your paint.

Not to mention without all of it's supports in the rear, when you have to hit the brakes hard at some point there is a very good chance it will fling itse;f into the tripple clamp, binding things up, hitting a kill switch, and basically fugging with you enough to possible cause a crash.

I agree with revils sounds like your not happy at all your better off ditching the bag and getting something diffrenti have a Tecknic bag and love it. it has the magnet flaps but there not as long as yours there don't touch my fairing at all and it dose have a strap that is suppose to go around the front neck on the bike but i have never used that once yet and never felt the need to the bag held so well with just the magnets

Ditch that bag!!!...I use the Fieldsheer product, I'm sorry I forget the model, but it is a triple expandable bag that attaches very nicely with magnets and stays put. I do some long hauls when I get a chance and this bag works perfectly,
has rain protection, easily converts to a back pack, is two bags in one and is under $100...can't go wrong with this bag...
Ride safe...

The ICON tank bag works well, but I think it's rear magnets will also be positioned over your existing tank bra ... but check out their product anyway ... pretty cool.

Well, I cut the flaps off, laid the six magnets along the sides of the bag's bottom and went for a ride with the bag's rain cover, my jacket liner and a couple of other items in the bag. It stayed put just fine. The only negative is that I have to open the bag to rearrange the magnets each time I raise the bag to fill the fuel tank. I'll have to work on a way of holding the magnets in place.

Ed

ya could try velcro or superglue to keep them in place
rock.gif
just a thought

Back