back in black - winter mods

godzilla

Registered
well, the only good thing about winter is the resulting time for some modifications. as it´s freakin´ cold here for some weeks, i already started my mods some time ago and hopefully finish most of the work this weekend. hope you enjoy my little documentation. let´s start with some comfort-stuff:

i bought a set of buell (r.i.p.) footpegs and modified them to fit the busa. making them fit was not that difficult and just took about half an hour. here are some pix:

the beginning. quite ugly and far away from being cool, the originial footpegs:

0900.JPG

the buell-stuff looks much better and promised to offer more comfort:

0901.JPG

may the games beginn:

0902.JPG

the buell pegs are too wide to match, some grinding makes it fit:

0903.JPG

a few minutes later the new peggies were installed and ready to be tested:

0904.JPG

200 miles later i found out two things: comfort is much better than with the genuine stuff. driving is much more fun, feels completely different, though the pegs are just about one inch repositioned. hell, yeah! success!

the other thing is: my shoes collide with the exhaust. that means: my shoes get bbq-ed and the exhaust is scratched by my feet. that´s unexceptable. so i had to go back to my garage and found a solution that makes me, the exhaust and my shoes happy. pix to come this weekend.

as i hope to finish the other modifications these days, too, i´ll post some more pix pretty soon. i created a one-off passenger seat cover, did some paintjobs, installed a wider back-tyre, adjustable links, new windscreen, new brakes and some other stuff. can´t wait to reassemble the bike tomorrow.

Last edited:
here we go. most of the work is done. pix in first post are some weeks old, the pins at the pegs were removed some minutes later, here is fresh stuff.

the pegs, now completely black and without pins:

bu0912.JPG

the painted parts at the dryer ;-)

bu0910.JPG

as i wrote above my shoes and the busas exhaust get in trouble since mounting the buell pegs. so i took some stainless steel, bended, welded and finally polished some of it to build a heatshield tearing apart the opponents:

bu0915.JPG

bu0916.JPG

i painted the mirror-housings and let a shop cut new mirror-glasses

bu0911.JPG

with some fibre and paint i build a passenger seat cover. not sure if i like it or not, but wanted to try it out, as the idea was in my head for a long time. that´s how it looks:

bu0913.JPG

bu0914.JPG

new windshield:

bu0920.JPG

i finally put a 200/50ZR17 metzeler sportec m3 on the 6.75x17 rearwheel:

bu0923.JPG

ebc contour discs and gsx-r 1000 k2 front fender:

bu0919.JPG

grinded and painted the inner fairings:

bu0917.JPG

cause a bike can´t be too black to me, i painted bars, clamp, levers and cockpit, too. added a pair of new anodized reservoir covers with kanji.

before:

bu0922.JPG

after:

bu0921.JPG

bars are flat black, so i have a decent contrast to the smoothed and shiny clamps and fairings. like the result. so far so good.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the all black look. You've got me motivated to work on these simple details! Thanks bro, nice work!
:thumbsup:

Question. Did you paint your frame or was it one of the LE's? Just wondering cause I've pondered painting mine but afraid it would crack and peel.

hi folks.

Question. Did you paint your frame or was it one of the LE's? Just wondering cause I've pondered painting mine but afraid it would crack and peel.

it´s a 2003 rz LE, so the frame is stock black. that was one of the reasons why i bought this particular model.

thanx for response. next sunny day i´ll try to do some pix of the whole bike to give better impressions how it looks like. i´m still thinking about installing a wet nx-kit this winter. a 60hp shot would be nice, i think. depends on my budget...

Back