Arkansas Busa owners

Had to "ring in" on the cell phone stuff. I carry a ANALOG Motorola StarTac using Alltel Service. The analog StarTac doesn't have all the "bells & whistles" it digital brothers have, but it does have "hands free" auto pick-up / hang-up.

The Motorola earpeice and mike set-up velcros in the helmet, but is only good for about 45 mph in a already noisy HJC helmet. With the chin flap installed on the helmet, maybe 60 mph.

I quite using the earpeice since my kids called too much (and the ringing would startle me - usually in an apex). The main reason I'm writing this post is because I wanted to explain my experiences with different services in Arkansas.

I used both analog and digital cell phones. I've also used both SW Bell and Alltel wireless services. The reason I refuse to use digital is for a number of reasons. I'm fairly confident in my facts, but I'm open for debate / correction.

"Flip" phones do not have the same amount of signal wattage as the "bag" or car mounted units. This alone can restrict the number of areas one can "get a cell".

A digital phone does have analog capabilities, when a digital cell isn't available. The problem is, the analog signal wattage on a digital phone is LOWER that the wattage of the digital signal OR the wattage of an "analog only" phone.

In non-scientific "field tests", two phones (one digital & one analog) with the same service provider, the "analog only" was able to "get a cell" in remote areas of the state at a rate of 2 to 1 over the digital.

In similar tests, Alltel's coverage was about 20% better than SW Bell's in the NW area of the state. In a few cases, SW Bell required an long distance operator to place an in-state call.

Now, these tests on service providers was conducted about 18 months ago, so SW Bell might have improved their service and coverage in the NW part of the state. The analog vs. digital was conducted less than six months ago and I'll stick by those results.

Having been stranded (alone) by a broken chain on AR341, the analog phone made the difference between me being able to stay with the bike or having to abandon the bike, in search of a cell signal.

Walking to the nearest house was out of the question. That was about 10 miles. The nearest store or gas station was 25 to 45 miles away. When I ride, my bike trailer is already hooked up to my truck, just for situations like this.

In the 4 1/2 hours it took for my rescuers to arrive, a total of NINE cars went by. Actually, every one of them stopped and sincerly offered assistance or a ride to a phone. Thanks to the analog phone (with an aux. battery), I was able to talk to my rescuers every 15 minutes, untill they arrived at 9 pm.

In my opinion, "analog only" is the ONLY way to go, if your riding on the less populated highways of NW Arkansas.

gsxdan,

I'm in west LR (green mountain). The only other busa's I've run across were drag racer guys who don't like to do anything but race for money. I like to ride the hills and i'm looking forward to getting shown the ropes/roads by redelk and company. It's supposed to be over sixty degrees by the end of this week so we need to ride!!!

email:

mslater@agfc.state.ar.us

Back