Arkansas Busa owners

G

While all the Arkansans are gathered could any of you suggest the best HW's to ride in the Ozarks please? I'm planning a spring/early summer trip on my Busa. Thanks.

Redelk - any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 28 January 2000).]

Try out Highways 23 and 7 that run between Hot Springs to the south and Branson to the North. Both are very enjoyable ribbons of tarmac.

You asked for it!

MAJOR HIGHWAYS

AR7 from Hot Springs to Harrison. It's about 120 miles of beautiful scenery and good twisties. The center strech between Dover (N of Russellville) to Ola is kinda boring, but the rest is a lot of fun. The road surface is one of the best and the "cop count" is low.

AR23 from Ozark (on I-40) to Eureka Springs. The first leg from Ozark to AR16 is known as the "Pig Trail". It used to be the route U of A students took to Fayetteville. Road surfaces are good to fair (some areas are being repaved). Traffic and cop count is low.

AR21 from Clarksville to Berryville. Real good. Has some great straight aways that you can "let it out". Wide sweepers and some tight twisties. Real good surface and real low traffic.

OLD AR71 from Alma (I-40) to Fayetteville. I-540 / New AR71, has made this into an abandoned highway. The 12 mile leg from Alma to Mountainburg SUCKS. Crappy surfaces and a lot of traffic / cops. The 24 mile leg from Mountainburg to Winslow is sexual. 3 and 4 lane 15 to 25 mph sweepers. If you don't drag a toe slide on your boots through here... you ain't riding!

MINOR HIGHWAYS

AR16 from AR23 at St. Paul to AR7 at Deer. Some parts are better than AR23... some aren't.

AR14 from Omaha (N of Harrison & AR65) to Mt. View. This one could wear your a$$ out.

AR5 from Mt. View to Mt. Home. Not Arkansas' best twisty, but still pretty good.

HIDDEN TREASURES

AR123 from AR164 (N in between Russellville and Clarksville) to AR7 at Pelsor. 23 to 28 miles of nirvana. Zero traffic and cops. Good road surface. NOTE: AR123 continues NE from Lurton (AR7) for about 11 mile of great new pavement and... withouth warning, turns to gravel!

AR154 from AR7 at Centerville to AR9 at Oppelo. This goes over Petit Jean Mt. / Park.

AR16 / AR9 from Clinton to Mt. View. 1st leg to Shirley is the best part.

AR263 from AR92 by Brownsville to AR14 by Big Flat. Has some really great parts and some really bad surfaces (especially around Fox to Onia).

AR58 fro AR14 (E of Mt. View - fun too) to AR69 at Sage. The folks at Sony PlayStation must have designed this road. From AR14 to Guion is real wide and has some 40 mph chacains (sp?) that you can FLY on. County deputies like to hang around just N of Guion. It's gets a lot tighter from Guion to Sage.

THE HOLY GRAIL

AR341 from AR14 by Big Flat to AR5 by Norfork. The 17 miles starting from AR14 is the best part. The road surface isn't as good fro the last 7 or 8 miles.

Cycle World's Editor, David Edwards, in the Jan. issue, called AR341... EROTIC! It was probably this highway that made him say in the Feb. issue (101 thing to do before you die), TOUR ARKANSAS (reason #10!).

As you can tell Mt.Veiw is kind of an "epicenter" of good highways. Many of our best are within 25 miles of Mt. View. There's a Best Western right in the middle of town (at the intersection of AR5-9-14). There are a few more hotels / motels (most N of the BW) and several fast food places. Heck, there's even a Wal-Mart near by.

There are a LOT of state troopers, county duputies and local law in this area. Be cool or be busted. They are forgiving up to a point, but it's not worth pushing the issue.

One road to avoid at all costs is AR9 from Mt. View to Melbourne. There is ALWAYS gravel in every apex and there's no place to turn off, once you get on it. It's always a nightmare.

I hope that gave you some ideas. There are several others, they just don't come to mind. There are some who'd debate my selections and that's what makes Arkansas so fun to ride. We have so many great roads, we can argue on which ones are better than others.

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 28 January 2000).]

They probably wouldn't work on LawnBoy 7R! I haven't been able to ride since the 2nd week in December. At that time, it started to get cold and rainy, so I took my engine in for a warranty claim on the tranny, gave the bodywork to a friend to be painted and stripped the bike down to the frame.

Of course, we had several good riding weekends (Xmas and New Year's were 2 of them) since then. All the while, I just sat their waiting for back ordered parts and bodywork. You can only repack swingarm and head bearings so many times, while waiting.

I got the engine back last week and the bodywork back yesterday (as the first snowflakes were falling). Now the bike is completly back together and "better than new". I had to come to work, today, so I wouldn't kill someone at my house. I'm loosing it!

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 28 January 2000).]

y2k silver/bkue buSA/HADDNT GOTS IT BROKEN IN YET/NO MODS OTHER THAN ZERO GRAVITYDOUBLE BUBBLE WINDSCREEN/GENMAR RISERS/AUTOCOM INTERCOM HOOKED UO TO MY CELLPHONE.

Cellphoney,
Do you own a Busa? Have you done any mods to it? Have you ever been to the Mother's Day races at Centerville AR.
GSXDAN

Thanks for the input on the road trip guys. I'll print this out and start planning my trip based on your recommendations.
Looks like you've ridden a mile or two RedElk!

67,000 (in 3 years) through out the NW and W parts of the state. One highway I forgot is AR88 from Mena into OK. A real blast!

CELL, you are the first I have read about going cellular on the bus. Are you using a digital or analog phone?

Which Autocom unit?

Just where did you mount the phone?

I installed a startac digital on a saeng mount last summer with the Autocom pro and it works great even at a buck twenty (no wind noise).

Have you experienced any feedback problems?
Do you have a V1 plugged in as well?
What sort of battery life have you found to be the norm for the phone and the AutoCom unit or are you hard wired with a power converter?

I am and always will be an anolog fan...the problem is though the cell techs have had to gear the cell sites with the slant to digital service..meaning the set up or control channels power settings for analog are being turned down..in the areas that i run i am finding that i have better service on the digital radios.also the digital star tac can be forced to hand over to analog by pressing function two...also in the last few months SOUTHWESTERN BELLS DIGITAL SERVICE IS MUCH IMPROVED.also SWB has a $10.oo feature called mobile to mobile where as i can talk to my family and buddys on there cell phones and talked UNLIMITED....altell doest.

THANKS, Cellphoney. I figured you'd have the scoop on this (maybe it's your user name). Unfortunatly, I can't switch back to SWB. My phones (StarTac & truck) are part of a Alltel "company package" deal (several phones using the same "pool" of minutes). The upside is I don't pay anything for the phone, voice mail and pager feature (my company does).

We were having major billing problems with SWB. Constant overbilling and poor customer service. Since I'm responsible for monitoring the use of all the "company" phones, I knew that the over billing wasn't our fault. I also know that SWB Wireless was going through some "teething" problems at that time. It'd just be too hard to switch back when everyone else here is happy with the current service.

Is the digital phone's analog signal wattage the same as the signal wattage of the "analog only" phones? Is the "slant towards digital on the control channels..." equally affecting the "analog only" phones? I'm not quite sure what you mean on that one. Is the "Fcn 2" aspect exclusive to SWB?

The digitial coverage maps for all the service providers seem so limited and don't seem to have much penatration in the NW rural areas. I know there's a lot of "sharing agreements" on cell towers, between various providers. Does this have any effect on what areas are starting to have a "digital slant"?
I just don't see any of them pushing digital in the extremly low populated areas (i.e. Mt. View). In the GP area (Humnoke, DeWitt, etc.), there doesn't seem to be as much "terrain signal obstruction" (i.e. hills) like in the Ozarks. Your opinion?

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 29 January 2000).]

I using the eurocom wich is hardwired into the bike/using a pro headset but with my arai rrx7 helmut about 70 mph is tops for a phone call/ i am currently using a startac digital phone with aux battery/i havented tried to wire a cig cord into the phone yet..as mu last bike had so much spark plug noise it got into the headset/ouch! as fo a mount is i had to fabricate one from a company called pro fit..it was made for a car but with a little cutting and bending it turned out looking good. i mounted it to the left tol gas tank boltimagone a flat peice of metal that comes up off of that bolt up about 2 in or so then bends back atch holdin your startac holder n phone. perfect. hope this helps u out a bit.

damn i need to go back to typin 101!(sorry about the errors in the last post!hadnt had my coffee yet!

ok here goes...the cell tower has a control channel that looks for phones/u see it as signal on your phone(signal strength meter)a while back these guys started to reduce the strength out of the cell site/without trying to get too technical they are adjusting handoff levels n stuff so as the digital will work better than the analog phones/bottom line the public will perceive that digital is superior than analog/think of it kinda like a honda dealer having a busa for sale and a blackbird for sale/a little DOWNTUNING ON THE BUSA and tuning UP THE BLACKBIRD and viola/the HONDA IS SUPERIOR!!! dont think its got anything to do with the fact that with digital the carrier can get three time the phone traffic for the same money do ya?...anyway thats what i ment by slant.THE FUNCTION 2 IS ON ALL DIGITAL STARTACS...LETS SEE NOW..ALLMOST ALL OF SWB CELLS HAVE DIGITAL RADIOS AND THEY WILL PUSH DIGITAL EVERYWHERE EVENTUALLY AS ITS A GOV MANDATE FOR 2002..SEEMS LIKE THEY NEED IT FOR 911 TRACKIN AND STUFF! AND I HEAR YA ON THE BILLIN!!THERE PROBLEM IS LIKE MOST LARGE CORPERATIONS /ALWAYS SQUEEZIN THEM PENNIES WHEN THEY SHOULD LET WELL ENOUGH ALONE /HOPE THIS HELPS...YES FOLKS I KNOW ITS A BIKE GROUP N NOT A PHONE GROUP...SORRY...PS HAYABUSAS RULE!!!NZX12 KAWAS R GONNA SUCK OUR DROOL!!!

ok here goes...the cell tower has a control channel that looks for phones/u see it as signal on your phone(signal strength meter)a while back these guys started to reduce the strength out of the cell site/without trying to get too technical they are adjusting handoff levels n stuff so as the digital will work better than the analog phones/bottom line the public will perceive that digital is superior than analog/think of it kinda like a honda dealer having a busa for sale and a blackbird for sale/a little DOWNTUNING ON THE BUSA and tuning UP THE BLACKBIRD and viola/the HONDA IS SUPERIOR!!! dont think its got anything to do with the fact that with digital the carrier can get three time the phone traffic for the same money do ya?...anyway thats what i ment by slant.THE FUNCTION 2 IS ON ALL DIGITAL STARTACS...LETS SEE NOW..ALLMOST ALL OF SWB CELLS HAVE DIGITAL RADIOS AND THEY WILL PUSH DIGITAL EVERYWHERE EVENTUALLY AS ITS A GOV MANDATE FOR 2002..SEEMS LIKE THEY NEED IT FOR 911 TRACKIN AND STUFF! AND I HEAR YA ON THE BILLIN!!THERE PROBLEM IS LIKE MOST LARGE CORPERATIONS /ALWAYS SQUEEZIN THEM PENNIES WHEN THEY SHOULD LET WELL ENOUGH ALONE /HOPE THIS HELPS...YES FOLKS I KNOW ITS A BIKE GROUP N NOT A PHONE GROUP...SORRY...PS HAYABUSAS RULE!!!N ZX12 KAWAS R GONNA SUCK OUR DROOL!!!

In simple terms it takes 2 towers versus 1 for digital to have the same coverage area that analog does. For great reception its really almost three. I install t-1`s...I`m the poor sucker in the middle of night after a thunderstorm sitting at the cell site.....

Back