Anyone here recover their seat themselves?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
I know the Tobin's are nice and all but I was thinking of just recovering my seat myself to save some money. Fabric stores carrry tons of nice sythetic leathers and other nice fabrics. I guess all you need is a slightly stretchable fabric and a staple gun right?

thanks

I think I vaugely remember revlis doing this not too long ago, but haven't seen him here much since he got his new job.

rock.gif

I suggest you go in for Tobin!! Saves you a lot of trouble and will make the Busa look extremely good.
smile.gif

Yeah...You can do it yourself as long as you don't get to elaborate...If your going to recover the stock seat as is then I would suggest that you go to an auto upholstery shop and get your material there...You should not need more than 1/2 yd of material...You'll also need a heavy duty staple gun...When you start your install you will need someone to pull the material tight as you staple...If you get a wrinkle just pull the staple and re-shoot...

Hell go for it im all about doing it yourself and saving cash. I thought about doing it but i was always under th impression that the fabric was glued onto the seat and stapled to keep the edges down
blush.gif

I had a freind of mine recover the seat on my 01 Busa, I just wanted to change the color, so it was a simple recover.
Pull the old staples out, cut the new materal the same general size as the orignal cover, (a little bigger). Use the (heavy duty) stapler to install the new cover, DO NOT glue the materal to the foam, if you glue it, and you get a wrinkle, it will not come out.

Here's mine. You'll need a REALLY good Staple gun and some 1/4" staples. I pulled the cover, re-shaped the foam and then recovered the seat. Took a few hours. End result? Nice happy azz!!!!

OH and Sore knees... Yeah I trimmed TOO much outta my seat. But the mod Cost me about $20. I'm going to have it finished and recovered here shortly. I'm just going to add about 3/4" of memory foam to the surface and recvered in leather prolly.

Here's a comparison, and a link to the thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back