Any pool players

ditchdr

Registered
I use ot be a big time pool player.. When i was in college I worked at a bar called Burbon Street. The guy who owned the place was a big time hustler.. he took me under his wing and with in a year I was doing some hustling of my own.. I am told I should have played on the pro circuit, but all I saw was the right then money... Long story short a few bad things happend and I stopped playing.. Sad cause I realy love the game..

Flash foward to last night,, some guys from work finaly talked me into going out and shootign a few games with them. I did and it took me about 7 or 8 racks and I was getting back into stroke.. Now I am wanting to go ahead and start playing more and more practice as much as i can and play a few pro tourments.. I have no stick of my own anymore, I have allways had good luck wiht Mc Dermont cues.. I have done some looking and seems Mc Dermont is now a lower end cue.. I was wounding what your stick of choice is and why? I like some flex in the stick but not a lot.. Meucci has WAY to much flex, and a Cuetech it like a steel rod. Have you tried the Preador 314 shaft? Just looking for some gernreal opions here..

heck who cares where the stick rates... if it works for you isnt that good enough? I could use a ball bat myself...same outcome..

Ditto... just like you!  I grew up in at McDonald's Billard Supply and Show Room in Knoxville TN.  Family run business for over 100 years.  Me and my buddy Jim could run a rack of 9 ball before the rack man got back to his chair!  LOL  Love to play! I still have two stick and an aligator skin case that the old man "Mr. McDonald" gave me.  One was a Desert Storm edition at 21 oz and my 23 oz breakstick!  McDermott is all I ever used that is after I learned to shoot!  Stick with what you were and are comfortable with and happy shooting!  I'm fixing to retire from the USAF in about 50 days and need a new house when I settle.... may just buy me a table at that time for I have two children that would enjoy a real game of billiards!

The rating is not the big thing for me.. Like you i feel if it works good then use it.. But my worry is that Mc Dermont is using low quailty stuff in order to save money kinf of like the Players brand of cues.. They work great for aobut 6 months then the joint gets off center, your shots are untrue, and you spend more time trying to figure out why your game went ot crap then improving..

A baseball bat? Come on man,, next hting is you will be trying to play me for 100 a rack..

heck who cares where the stick rates... if it works for you isnt that good enough?    I could use a ball bat myself...same outcome..
Your right.... while stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina, it was discovered that I could shoot by some of the other dorm rats. After I beat everyone I went to the closet and chalked up a broom handle and played one handed and still kicked arse! LOL those were the days.

I am not gonna lie, I do miss the days of gettign a fish on the hook and walking out with a few g's of their money.. But having a fmaily of my own now, I could not do it to anyone and not feel guilty aobut it.. Thats the main reason i want ot play tourment play, well that and no worry of the looser pulling a .38 on you and refusing to pay..

I dont play as much I used to in college-kinda started out like you, got together with a true hustler n learned the game from him...I always liked Meucci.s for a game stick, 18-19oz. n I loved the laquer-covered wrap *i know some folks hate that*; I used a 21oz Schmelke for breaking, until I switch to Schon(sp??) that was best cue I ever used...but they started at $500 n went up-lots of nice inlays for your $$ but Cuetech also makes some Carbon Fiber-shafted newbies that I have wanted to try out too, for half the price of Schon.

mebbe hit up the next local tourney, and see what players have-you might be able to strike a deal if you're lucky! *got my Meucci off a guy who just a new stick, for like $200!!!!*
beerchug.gif

good luck, and post pics when you do buy a new shooter!
cool.gif

geez when you said "pool balls" I thought maybe it was from swimming to long...

whistling.gif

Meucci is the way to go. If you don't like the flex, have someone make you an alternate shaft as I did. I got it made 2" longer, what a difference it made!

Back