any laminate flooring install gurus?

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
I am putting a new pergo floor in the kitchen and the end is going to butt up against the Berber carpet in the next room..

what is the best method for the transition?

The current strip appears to fold the carpet over right at the current vinyl floor.

Even with a underlayment, the Pergo will be lower than the berber, so do I need to use the doorway kit or can I cut a straight edge, round it a bit and be ok?

You will need the transition. Pergo should have the kits where they sell the flooring. The kit will have a track that fastens to the floor and then the trim piece snaps in the track overlaying the carpet. How wide is the opening?
What is there now should be what is called a Z-bar. The carpet does fold under itself and just mashes down on the vinyl, but you wont be able to do this with the new floor because laminate has to "float". :beerchug:

the opening is pretty wide.. (maybe 50") I got the kit already but the thing looked really wide to do the job (maybe 2"?)

If I got all my ducks in a row, I need to remove the tongue off the wall edge (just run it through my router table)
Run the stuff lengthwise through the room, 1/4 expansion room all around and I can seal the edges with any latex sealant at the walls

I am also going to put down an underlayment, the test area I did had a bit of a hollow sound (20sq ft)over the vinyl.. figure for $50, I would like it as quiet as possible..

sound right?

When I installed the Pergo floor in my last house and at my Inlaws, they have the transition that James described...but also a carpet transition. The transition I used caps the Pergo and then has a right angle down to the underlayment. You then install tack strip next to the transition and stretch/cut the carpet right next to the transition strip. Oh, and I had to use two strips for both installs...

Are you putting this down on a slab floor or Wood floor, I just installed 800 square foot in my house on a slab floor I used an underlayment but also put down a layer of roofing tar paper to help with the sound as well, worked pretty good, As for the Laminant to carpet transition, I pulled up all the carpet and replaced it with the Laminant, But what James said sounds about right.

Just make sure you leave that 1/4" expansion gap when installing, I have heard some horror stories.

That sounds about right. The Z-bar has a tac strip to keep the carpet stretched. What comes in the Pergo kit to keep the carpet from shrinking and making a bubble?

When I installed the Pergo floor in my last house and at my Inlaws, they have the transition that James described...but also a carpet transition. The transition I used caps the Pergo and then has a right angle down to the underlayment. You then install tack strip next to the transition and stretch/cut the carpet right next to the transition strip. Oh, and I had to use two strips for both installs...

Ah, there you go. I never had to transition a piece that wide.

I installed pergo in my Hawaii house in 1995 in the kitchen, open floor plan to the living area... and the berber carpet ( a high quality one ) was folded back with no threshold or transition I sold the home in 2007 and it was wearing fine with no problems.

the hollow sound is hard to get rid of with 1/4" luan. We always used a staple gun (1/4" staples) and put them in a 6" pattern.

Back