ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED

Ride The 1300

Registered
wondering if anyone has encountered a problem like mine..
Ive been watching the boards and decided to take the chance and switch to synthetic oil (Mobile 1 15w30) the bike has 15000miles on it
since ive switched oil i have encountered a problem with my speedometer... when im cruising down the highway in 6th gear doing between 70-85mph.. i notice that at random times i look down and see that the speedometer is pinned at 185... I then pull the clutch and it drops down to 0mph
rock.gif
if im coasting when this is all happening and rev the engine to about 3500rpm .. the speedometer jumps back up to 185mph.
Im not sure what to think and i dont think its a cluster problem due to the fact that i my MPG is reading 50mpg and when it happens .. I can go a marked highway mileand it says that i have traveled over 3 miles
this problem has never happened to me before and its not a constant thing .. it is however starting to happen more often.
I need to know if anyone else has encounterd a issue like this and how was it remedied !!!

You got me! I dont think its related to your switch to synthetic though, did you do the oil change? I've had intermittent cluster problems, buy they have all been atributed to dust getting into the plug(desert enviroment) NJ.

I did the oil change myself as i have always done every 3000 miles .. I cant imagine there being any dust issues for me here in NJ .. I checked the cluster for water also .. I thought that might have been the problem ..but it wasnt !!

Yous speed sensor bolt that goes into the front sprocket cover is loose.  There is an allen wrench in your tool kit that will fit and you don't even need to take the fairing off.  Happened to me, just reving the motor would effect my speedo and it was just in general out of wack until I tightened it down.

edit: if you don't know what I'm talking about it's one of the black covers on the lower left hand side of your bike, just aft of the fairing. The speed sensor is going to have a cable running to it and either one or two allen heads I can't remember.

<!--EDIT|foresteronw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123885044 -->

thanks for your help Guys .. I just tightened up the nut and im gonna take it for a ride ... I will post up when i get back and let ya know how it went !!!

so I take it that it was loose. I hope it works out, I love it when a problem is fixed 100% and not just, well I think that did it but I'm not sure.

While your down there....Check the little 8mm bolts(i believe) that holds that cover on. They tend to work loose, they should be torque'd to 3 ft lbs.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ok .. I checked all the bolts (the ones on the cover and the one on the sensor)
Still working like Crap ... If you can believe I put 325miles on my bike with ONE talk of gas !!!
I have to remedy this issue .. Im gonna have a million mile Busa by next Summer at this pace!!

AND... Id like to thank the NJ State Trooper who Cut Me a Hellova Break yesterday.. He was Pacing me doing 90 then he said I got smaller and smaller... he asked me if i knew how fast i was going .. I didnt LIE (this time)... I really didnt know
Im guessing by my rpm's I hit about 160.. So I can Say TODAY ..maybe not again Tomorrow... NOT ALL COPS ARE BAD !!!

OH BY THE WAY ... Im still screwed up with this damn bike Issue ... any other thoughts
rock.gif
PLEASEEEEEEEEE

I would take the cover off and see what it looks like in there, maybe something came loose inside, or the sensor is broken or something.

I GIVE UP !!!!

the problem has only gotten worse since ive tried everything that you all have offered ... nothing is / was loose... However i did notice that my oil was a bit low
rock.gif

Id like to thank everyone who tried to assist me with this issue ...

ITS GOING TO THE DEALER TOMORROW !!!

good luck, let us know what it was.. would be a good thread for those who may have this problem in the future.

Back