HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
'14 Busa
Rear Dunlop Q3+ with about 4k mi on it
Mostly commuting miles, perhaps 300 canyon miles
Flat on the freeway at 65mph (ish)
Post-flat pothole impact deforms the rim
Another mile to get bike w/ flat tire off the freeway, come to a complete stop.
Replace the Rim
Would you keep running that same tire providing the orig puncture is 1) not sidewall and 2) patchable?

Like wuzza said if just a nail patch and keep going but being impact related im sure it broke an internal belt or something and you don't want to find out what happens then even at a slow speed.

That tire is about done anyways with 4K on it......

I can never understand for the life of me how guys will spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on a bike and countless more thousands on cosmetic/ performance upgrades but nickel and dime every chance they get when it comes to tires!?!? :banghead:

Like if a new $200 tire makes you pause and give thought or puts your bank account in the red maybe this motorcycle shyt ain’t for you :rolleyes:

Thanks. Just checking. Due to the location of the incident, I took the bike to a motorcycle "super center", a place called Bert's Mega Mall in Covina, CA. They worked up the repair quote, showed it to me. I said where's the new tire? We're gonna use the same tire, they said, it's not damaged. I said gimme a new tire anyway but was astounded that they'd even recommend using a tire that's been subjected to that kind of damage. Wasn't sure which one of us was crazy. Now I know.

Thanks. Just checking. Due to the location of the incident, I took the bike to a motorcycle "super center", a place called Bert's Mega Mall in Covina, CA. They worked up the repair quote, showed it to me. I said where's the new tire? We're gonna use the same tire, they said, it's not damaged. I said gimme a new tire anyway but was astounded that they'd even recommend using a tire that's been subjected to that kind of damage. Wasn't sure which one of us was crazy. Now I know.
I bought a 90 ZX-10 from Bert's back in 94 when it was in Azusa. They weren't known for anything but good prices on used bikes back then, looks like nothing's changed.

Aside from the damage what condition was that tire in at 4k? From the fact I don't get much for curves around here mines got a nice worn patch down the middle but I think since it's been cooling down it's been spinning a bit on hard acceleration too but I've got about 2k on my q3+.

You already had 4K miles on it. A Q3+ is near the end already at 4K. I have never gotten 4K from a Q3. Get a new tire so we can look forward to your future posts!
Hey arch when u do replace the free upgraded rear tire let us know what the mileage is compared to the regular q3. It definitely gives me more confidence then thr pilot power I had but I think the roads and weather around me just isn't right for the Michelin tires. But I'm thinking im gonna have to go sport touring on the rear next time around and keep the q3 plus up front but it'll definitely be dunlop for me from now on as long as I'm in Michigan.

Aside from the damage what condition was that tire in at 4k? From the fact I don't get much for curves around here mines got a nice worn patch down the middle but I think since it's been cooling down it's been spinning a bit on hard acceleration too but I've got about 2k on my q3+.

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

Sorry, these are the best pics I got of tire at time of incident.
Actual mileage on tire: 4,473
I expected another 750 - 1,000 out of 'em

Back