An example of why gun owners and pro 2nd amendment folks should be vocal these days

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I know its been a hot bed topic for a little bit now but I encourage you to read this article written in the local paper here. Yes this is uber liberal NY but for cripes sake this one is just a bit too extreme for me.

Column: Screw the 2nd amendment, it's time for sanity | Suffolk Times

My response to the article is below

So why is it that when something horrible happens like the events in CT, the politicians & media always want to flex their agenda instead of focusing on the event and supporting the people in need. Anytime there is gun violence the liberals come out in droves calling for gun control. Its purely a knee jerk reaction and absolutely does nothing to resolve the issues. Why not look at the root cause, why not figure out why people want to do these horrible things instead of focusing on a single method which they can use to do these types of things? Mental health in this country is handled horribly and no one has too far to reach to figure out that the folks that do these things are mentally not there. The fact of the matter is if you remove the guns, they will find another way to carry out their plan. What would the reaction be if this event was a school bombing instead of gun fire? What if someone walked into a school with a butcher knife and started chopping people up like the guy in China did the same day as the CT attack? Troy, would you be beating the drum to ban kitchen knives? You cannot stop someone hell bent on taking action, they will find a way and it might be even more sinister than we can imagine. Attacking the 2nd amendment is foolish and while most Americans cannot agree on gun control, they all are likely to agree that tearing down the Bill of Rights is NOT the way to effect change.

In this forum I can say I think Troy G. who wrote the article is a freaking moron. I also think his last paragraph was unnecessary....anyone that read his dribble would know hands down that he voted for Obama :laugh:

For the record: I am not a super gun nut but I am decidedly in the pro 2nd Amendment camp and a gun owner. I don't necessarily see the need for folks to have automatic weapons but I own and will continue to buy semi-automatic weapons, both long guns and pistols.

SO what say you all. Is Troy missing the mark or is he heading in the right direction with his writing.

Re: An example of why gun owners and pro 2nd amendment folks should be vocal these da

He is where he has probably been most of his life. This nation sees all of this for what it is. Unfortunately about half the folks in this country think this way now a days. I agree with his comment on wait periods and screening. This must be done, however it will not stop the killing that goes on every day in this country. Enforcement of our laws and incarceration will. I don't know about the country as a whole but I know in my neck of the woods the criminal justice system is a joke. Money well spent in this country would be for facilities to house and treat the mentally ill, and prisons for the criminals.

Take all the guns away and you would still have these events.

Re: An example of why gun owners and pro 2nd amendment folks should be vocal these da

how many views and no responses save DO3 and I? guess thats why they call so many the "silent" majority and why special intrest groups and very small percents of the population actually get policy's changed. then we whine and complain beat our chest's and lament the state that the country is in....well....SPEAK UP!! DO SOMETHING!!

the problem with the whole mental health issue is MOST of the people who have committed spree shootings for example over the last 30+ years or so all bought their guns legally so should we make people take a mental health exam before being able to purchase a gun? even if we did people change over time and can become unstable and dangerous to own a gun.

and the whole mental health issue is so subjective anyway that I dont see that as the root of our gun problems.

the problem with the whole mental health issue is MOST of the people who have committed spree shootings for example over the last 30+ years or so all bought their guns legally so should we make people take a mental health exam before being able to purchase a gun? even if we did people change over time and can become unstable and dangerous to own a gun.

and the whole mental health issue is so subjective anyway that I dont see that as the root of our gun problems.

Not sure about the legal purchase statement, but like felons and those involved in Criminal Domestic incident, anyone being treated for mental illness would not be allowed to purchase or possess.

But I'll be the first one to say that I don't have the answer, but I know the shameful attempts of politicians to limit my constitutional rights isn't the answer.

This is why we, I and everyone should own hi-capacity semi-automatic rifles.

Please take the time to read it all the way thru.

>>>> THE SECOND AMENDMENT: A GUARD FOR OUR FUTURE SECURITY <<<<

Something called 'ordered liberty'. A nation of checks and balances.

If you don't bother to read the link, shame on you but ill quote one excerpt from it.

To the Founders of our country, the right to keep and bear arms had a fundamental purpose. The Framers considered this right as the paramount right by which all other rights could be protected.[188] Furthermore, they saw this right as the last resort of the people if the checks and balances established in our Constitution ever failed to protect the rights of the people from tyranny.[189] To sum it up, the right is a guard for our future security.[190] How is this objective any less impor-[Page 232] tant today than back in the eighteenth century? Yet today, this right is under attack because of our current social problems best exemplified in the massacre at Columbine High School. District Judge Cummings hit the mark when he stated:

[C]oncerns about the social costs of enforcing the Second Amendment must be outweighed by considering the lengths to which the federal courts have gone to uphold other rights in the Constitution. The rights of the Second Amendment should be as zealously guarded as the other individual liberties enshrined in the Bill of Rights.[191]

I choose to defend this right and to keep things under check and balanced with the finest tool I can buy.
Quite simply the most modern weapon one can own is exactly what I believe the founding fathers would expect us to own. Now having differentiation between styles and kinds if you opened your safe and only had wooden stock hunting guns Madison may ask you where's the one you defend freedom with?

you do realize that England has a higher crime rate then the US does dont you???? England has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world with 0.07 homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 people. the United States 3.0 per 100,000 people. thats over 40 times higher. so when Pierce Morgan says we have gun problems and he is right. we do. the question what are we gonna do about it?

Pierce Morgan is not the only news person that thinks we have serious gun issues in our country. he just happens to be blunt about it while everyone else dances around the issue and doesnt give a chit if he offends people nor is he supposed to.

you do realize that England has a higher crime rate then the US does dont you???? England has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world with 0.07 homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 people. the United States 3.0 per 100,000 people. thats over 40 times higher. so when Pierce Morgan says we have gun problems and he is right. we do. the question what are we gonna do about it?

Pierce Morgan is not the only news person that thinks we have serious gun issues in our country. he just happens to be blunt about it while everyone else dances around the issue and doesnt give a chit if he offends people nor is he supposed to.

Speaking of Pierce Morgan - I got a good chuckle from this the other day.

Seems like someone blew up a freaking building with stuff bought from a feed store. Ban everything that can be used as a weapon.:ban:

this is a copy of a post on facebook in response to the NRA posting of their news conference:

Joshua Musgrove wrote " I'm friends with a principle of a school a few towns over from here and he, his vice principle, the history teacher, and the school councilor all are carrying in the school now. They talked with the school board and told them, we are not taking any chances anymore."

THIS is the speaking out we all must do. STAND UP, refuse to not exercise your RIGHTS. REFUSE to be just a victim

As far as the Utah statutes go, anyone with a CCW can carry into a school, K-12, Universities, etc.... If the school employees want to carry they are within the law to do so.

Did anybody notice that David Gregory BROKE THE LAW when he displayed a 30 round mag on MEET THE PRESS this morning? It's ILLEGAL in DC where they film...

Piers Morgan is a complete and total A hole. They ran his show 'guns in America' four nights in a row last week. He had John Lott on there, a very well respected person when it comes to knowing stats on gun violence. Everytime Lott tried to make a point Piers interrupted him and labeled him a loon. Had the poor man so flustered he himself was ready to snap. Invited the guy in his show and then would not even let him speak.
I don't know why having armed people in schools in so strange or why the media is against it.

Have you ever heard of a mass shooting in a school in Israel?
NOPE!

This is why....
Israel-school.jpg

The Duke must be rollin in his grave :banghead:

are you saying duke and charles were gay?

are you saying duke and charles were gay?

NO! I'm saying they are both spinning in their (separate and totally straight) graves!!

We don't need to worry about this fellow... His ratings are going to do away with him through natural
selection..

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

We don't ever need to worry about this being looked at seriously either :laugh:

Back