Am I cheap or is brake fluid stupid expensive?

Well, I started with the busa and changed clutch and brake fluid. It was pretty dark stuff, but it was a simpler job than I remember it being, thanks to the speed bleeders I forgot I installed when I did my first brake fluid change. One thing I noticed was (as stated by @omc1984 in a previous post) that when I poured this DOT4 into the reservoirs, it looked through the glass like when you are mixing water with oil and it was think. I didn’t think it was that much thicker, but then something interesting happened........... I had a clear hose connected to the bleeder at the front caliper and cracked the bleeder open a hair to get fluid to start coming out. I stood up and started pumping my front brake lever smooth and steady, while watching the reservoir and started adding my fresh fluid. I pumped several times and added fluid and, all of a sudden, my lever got real stiff as if someone had closed the bleeder on me while I was pumping. I sat on the floor while reaching/squeezing the brake lever to see what the heck was going on down there and could barely get anything coming out!!!!! I had to crack the bleeder open some more to finish the job. All I can think about is that I only had the bleeder cracked open enough for the old fluid to come out, but once this this new thicker DOT4 made it all the way down to the caliper, it
CC17F36A-B6AB-4490-9686-D21FC4A6885E.jpeg

6B733226-545F-417E-9B0A-45F992892E73.jpeg

could hardly push thread the small opening I created when I opened the bleeder. Pretty interesting, IMHO. Anyway, here is a before and after picture of the fluid. Don’t make fun of my crappy hose clamps, because that’s a temp. Setup and I need to order some more parts to properly secure everything.

Back