ALUMINUM SUBFRAME

LE BUSA

Donating Member
Registered
I have been doing research on the aluminum sub frame that came with the 1999 and 2000 Hayabusa. What I have learned so far is that there was a problem with breakage at some of the joints that were welded. Suzuki attempted to fix the problem with the welds for the 2000 model and what ever they did the welds stopped breaking but because of this fix, the frame started to break in different locations. I have discovered that a person in the U.K. allegedly contacted Suzuki about the problem and was told that the sub frames had a max. load rating of 195 kg. (approx. 429 lbs.) and that the problem was the owners were overloading the bikes. At this time Suzuki made available a steel frame for the owners ( for a price of course) that the owners could switch to if they were going to carry a heavy load. Suzuki then made the steel sub frame standard for all Hayabusas form 2001 to present.

Now to my question…….. for those of you that have switched to the aluminum sub frame (or those still on the 99 and 00 Busa) have you had any problems and would you recommend this modification to someone who rides alone and does not carry any type of extra baggage? Thanks for any opinions, advice, or information you may have.

to keep it safe, i would ride alone with the aluminum subframe installed. i took mine off to save weight and by the way the aluminum one looks and feels i dont think it's safe to carry passenger of any weight!!!
just my oppinion  
smile.gif

(busa crazy @ Sep. 16 2006,22:32) to keep it safe, i would ride alone with the aluminum subframe installed. i took mine off to save weight and by the way the aluminum one looks and feels i dont think it's safe to carry passenger of any weight!!!
just my oppinion  
smile.gif
If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that you are now running with a aluminum sub frame? If so for how long and have you had any problems with it yet?

I switched to the aluminum one for weight savings, but I have no ability to carry passengers since I have the one piece tail. Stick with the steel one if you plan on riding 2-up

LE BUSA I CURRENTLY DO HAVE THE ALUMINUM SUBFRAME AND IT WILL STAY ON MY BIKE, BUT I DONT RIDE 2 UP BECAUSE I HAVE A 1 PIECE TAIL AND IT'S TRACK BIKE ONLY!! IT'S AROUND 8 LBS BETWEEN THE ALUMINUM AND THE STEEL. I COULDN'T BELEIVE THE DIFFERENCE UNTIL I PICK THEM BOTH UP AT THE SAME TIME.
biggrin.gif

the weight saving is over 7 lbs.

i have an Al subframe on my 01, but i had a few gussets welded in before i installed it...not needed really, cause i dont ride 2-up, but its a nice piece of mind.

OK, So everyone who's replied so far seems to be in agreement that as long as I ride solo it should be safe to install and ride with the aluminum subframe. Cool
beerchug.gif
Thanks guys. If any one else has an opinion or more information please feel free to post.

Well this information makes me feel better about the subframe I purchased and have not installed yet. Thanks.

Back