who's had aluminum subframe failure

I weigh 250lbs. ride really hard, do track days, carry heavy Ventura luggage on week long trips, have a full Muzzy system, do wheelstands, stoppies, all on a 2000 Busa. Never an issue with the subframe. I don't think it was a pervasive problem....but a few did crack. maybe others know more. Raydog

I weigh 250lbs. ride really hard, do track days, carry heavy Ventura luggage on week long trips, have a full Muzzy system, do wheelstands, stoppies, all on a 2000 Busa. Never an issue with the subframe. I don't think it was a pervasive problem....but a few did crack. maybe others know more. Raydog

heavy chick test?:laugh:

I would def like to hear more experiences on this. I have a '99 and would like to know if I need to up my wife's life insurance...:laugh:

family_guy_no_fat_chicks_t-shirt_li.jpg
:lol:

There were 6 failures here in the U.S and some in the U.K

Wow, not to downplay the severity of it, but 6 domestic failures vrs. the total amount of 1999 and 2000 units in the US! Mathematically, that's almost a non event. It's like how incredibly safe it is to fly, just don't bring up the subject to someone right after an engine falls off at 30,000 ft.!

Wow, not to downplay the severity of it, but 6 domestic failures vrs. the total amount of 1999 and 2000 units in the US! Mathematically, that's almost a non event. It's like how incredibly safe it is to fly, just don't bring up the subject to someone right after an engine falls off at 30,000 ft.!

That is 6 here is the U.Sthat I know of,there were more in the U.K and Australia. There may have been more.

wow....you MADE those Gixx1300R? those are dope! shoulda patented them and produce 'em. bet they would sell.

wow....you MADE those Gixx1300R? those are dope! shoulda patented them and produce 'em. bet they would sell.

I do have a patent on them. Suzuki switched to a steel subframe in 2001. In 2002 there were enough used Steel subframes that could be purchased for $100 or so. This is cheaper than what I was selling my Subframe braces for. My Subframe braces have a clamping and holding force of 2000 psi.

Definitely a weld failure !....probably should have be "pre-heated before welding.....and then "wrapped" for controlled cooling !......exp welder.:rulez:

it dosen't look like that bike crashed from that pic

Some riders did crash,some didnt. I would suggest doing a Yahoo and Google search on "Hayabusa Subframe Failures" you will find post dating back to 2000. Some riders did crash and had injuires and some of them didnt.

I swapped mine for steal right after I purchased my 2000. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

Back