Alpine Stars Bionic Suit

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
This Alpine Stars Bionic Suit was posted at least a year ago by thebbbusa. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Because of the mesh, it would be tolerable in the Texas heat I usually ride in (110). It has to be better than a T shirt, but it runs $260 for the top. I don't know what CE certified means. My biggest question is: Does the mesh provide protection, or does it just hold the joint and back armor?

Posted: Aug. 04 2005,15:03 QUOTE
When it gets too hot I usually pull out my 'bionic suit'. Mine is made by Fox Racing, but Alpinestars has one too, and it looks better! Basically it's old school football jersey mesh with all the 'armour' built into it. The protection is tougher than my Icon Leather jacket. It's got hard plastic and padding in all the impact areas and chest and back protection. Plus if you want to look like a squid, you can put a large t-shirt on over it! They are CE certified too!

There are several different companies making similar products. Check it out! Here's the alpinestars version:

http://www.alpinestars.com/_os/protection/protection.html

Here is a better link to the jacket itself: http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/moto_protect_frst.htm
Push the GO button to get to the jacket.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137892941 -->

I am not very well versed on the subject but my understanding is leather, slides and mesh, bounces

Hey man, I got your PMs.

You'll get varying opinions on what to wear around here.  Basically I see it like this.  Any gear is better than no gear.  I wear my Fox suit when it's REALLY hot outside, too hot for leathers.  It's either that or nothing.  It's got skid plates and padding everywhere there are points on the body, and I feel plenty safe.  I am not sure what CE certified means, but I do no that many race leather jackets have the same CE rating.  I think the CE rating is more for impact protection rather than skidding across the highway.

Like I said before this suit may not be as good as leather, it is better than just wearing a T-shirt any day. As far as mesh providing protection, no, not really. This suit, like I said, is designed for the impact, and sliding on your points, ie. elbows shoulders, forearms, chest, back. If your sliding on your biceps or ribs, you've got a whole other set of problems. Haha. Of course, consider the option: Realistically, you WILL ride with NO GEAR at some point especially in 110 deg heat. So what could hit hurt to have a little extra protection. It's your choice.

I really liked the Alpinestars one better than the one I got, but it cost nearly twice as much as mine.  If I had it to do again, I'd get the Alpine Stars one.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  I like mine.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137897721 -->

Thanks! You helped me with my decision. I'm ordering one now. I ride for fun, and sweltering in leather at 100 degrees is not my idea of fun. When it's chilly outside, I wear a leather jacket that is insulated, and it's fine. But, when it really starts warming up, I want something better than a T shirt, and leather won't cut it.
Thanks again.

Leather is for road rash.

Armor(CE certified you are referring to) is for impact.

With mesh that has the armor, you are giving up some road rash protection to be cooler while maintaining the same impact protection as a leather jacket.

And mesh is better than a cotton shirt
wink.gif

Here's the Fox one:

Funny, when I wear it I feel like an invicible robot. The back protection is insane!

post_6_93235_fox.jpg

Thanks to you guys who posted pics. I couldn't get copy and paste to work. Maybe it was too much Scotch (hee hee). Anyway, I'm going to order the top and try it out (hopefully without trying it out on pavement). I was telling my wife how you guys thought it was (and I agree) stupid to spend 11K on a bike and then cheap out on protective gear, and....drum roll....she agreed!

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137907863 -->

Just to help out - There is a European body called CE which makes standards for vehicles, much like DOT in the US. They have a standard for motorcycle clothing and protective armor. All the armour (bike, military ans so on) are tested at various labs and scored and given certifcation under the control body, CE. Another way to think of it is like the FAA. A plane can and will fly without approval from the governing body but it is better for piece of mind to know it has been independently inspected.
rock.gif
WTF.

bushdopegesture.jpg

until motogp and Superbike racers switch to mesh, I'm sticking with leather
smile.gif

Some gear is better than none...forsure.
I myself have been guilty of wearing mesh.

There's one thought that haunts me when I have it on thou,I can hear Revlis's father in my head...

"Sometimes its just too hot to ride".

I believe that.

But due to the extreme climates some of us have to endure,I guess gear-up as best you can.

I also used to refere to my mesh gear as my 100K gear.Meaning I wouldn't go over a hundred k with it.

I'm  100 kph = 60 mph.

have a good day peepul.   RSD.

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137948262 -->

have a good day peepul.
Who are you, and what have you done with RSD?
rock.gif

Anyway, why hasn't anyone come up with an air-conditioning system for bike riders? You'd think it would be simple... Put a water bladder in the jacket lining, and then have a line to connect it to a small extra radiator on the bike. I may just have to design a system myself.

have a good day peepul.
Who are you, and what have you done with RSD?  
rock.gif

Anyway, why hasn't anyone come up with an air-conditioning system for bike riders?  You'd think it would be simple...  Put a water bladder in the jacket lining, and then have a line to connect it to a small extra radiator on the bike.  I may just have to design a system myself.
"This is the automated response unit,formerly know as RSD."

a friend of RSD's has to work outside all day.He wears a vest that,surprisingly enough,contains several water bladders.
He throws it in the freezer at night,and has water cooling all day.

"Please, have a nice day". RSD.

malfunction...malfunction...warning warning....

"Go an' get fug'd you dirty rotten bastid"... ahhh, back in control. the real RSD.

Back