Akuma Phantom II one month review

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I bought this helmet from an online retailer, so the fitting chart was a gamble to go off of. I was between a large and a medium, so I ordered the large just to be on the safe side. I was coming from a Shoei RF-900 that I was very happy with.

Size & Fit - Seemed a bit small at first, but got used to it and now it seems very comfy and fits well. Seemed very cramped at first, but I have since come to like the closeness feeling of the outer shell. If you have a large nose, you will not be comfortable with this helmet as your nose will more than likely touch the front of the helmet.

Padding - Fits snug in all the right places.

Cleaning - All of the interior padding comes out, so cleaning the padding is not a huge issue.

Intercom Mounting - As mentioned before, all of the padding is removable, so mounting wires and speakers in the shell of the helmet was very easy. It does have space for the ear piece speakers to fit in.

Noise - Much louder than my RF-900, but tolerable based on the other attributes of the helmet. I did have to close the top vents just above the forehead as there would be a whistle if my head was held just right.

Airflow - I find the vents in the front and the top rear of the helmet to be more than suitable for airflow. Others may not, but I am comfortable with these vents only. The heat from the sun is not there either as I was expecting it to be. I am assuming it is due to the heat transfer properties that true carbon fiber has. When sitting in traffic in middle Georgia, I do not have an overheating issue like I was expecting.

Weight - This helmet weighs in at just about 2.3 pounds. This is the main reason why I bought the helmet and once it is on and you are going, it feels like it is not even there to me.

Accessories - Another reason why I bought the helmet was that it came with a photochromic visor. This thing works better than I had hoped it would. I leave for work when it is dark out, and normally come home in the late afternoon. I ride the bike to lunch and what not, so 2 visors was usually a must and kind of a pain in the ass on a daily basis. The photochromic visor is clear as can be during dark hours, and very dark during noon or high sun hours.

Overall rating - I give it a 5 out of 5 based on the ability of the helmet to meet and exceed my expectations. Below I have included a review from webBikeWorld and a video from the same site.

Additional Info - At speeds above 65 MPH the helmet would seem to be pulled back on my head gradually. About every 10 miles or so I would have to realign it and it would be fine for a bit longer. I have since changed out my double bubble Puig windscreen for a MRA Vario-tour windscreen and there is no more pulling or moving around. The helmet stays where it should the entire ride all the way past 100 MPH. I have about 1500 miles on this helmet now, and am very happy with it. The bike is used for weekend play trips, and as a daily commuter to work and business trips throughout the week.

Webbikeworld Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review man I tried an Akuma bout a year back I was suprised by how they were sized I think I neded a XXXL all other helmets I wear a XL.

Back