Air shifter??

dane789

Registered
Just wondering how many of the turbo guys are using air shifters versus pulling in the clutch and shifting or power shifting without the clutch? What are the true gains of an air shifter? What 1/4 mile time improvement do you see when using your air shifter as opposed to foot shifting ??

Not just turbo guys....
I for one find it a huge advantage, my legs are so long and I'm running so much gear I can't get my foot to the peg in time to shift....
Will never go back to foot shifting.
How much you gain will be determined by how you foot shift. If you're pulling in the clutch each shift you will pick up a bunch.....

It's alot easier air shifting, but if you clutchless shift correctly there is very little advantage in my opinion.{I have an a air shifter and have experimented both ways}

What do you guys think about the electric shifters on the market? Like the one offered by DYNOJET that plugs into the power command?

What do you guys think about the electric shifters on the market? Like the one offered by DYNOJET that plugs into the power command?

That one is not exactly a shifter....it feels the shifter moving and kills the ignition to allow shift with out the clutch. IF im correct on that????

Correct on the quickshifter description of operation.

Air shifters can drop .2 to .3 off of your et's in drag racing.

Although, the AMA Supersport class will prove you can actually shifter quicker without one. The class allows any bike 1000cc's or above. These guys are running stock length, stock height, no major engine mods as they are not permitted, just a few bolt ons like exhaust and utilize stock clutch systems with very minor mods. Section 4

They consistently run 9.1's with the top riders (Rickey Gadsen, Joey Gladstone, Jeremy Teasley, etc.) running consistent 8.90's all by foot shifting.

They keep their foot under the shift lever pulling it up the whole time and fan the clutch lever everytime they want to shift. The second they brush the clutch lever it is enough to allow the gears to change. No chopping the throttle, no loss of RPM's. In some instances they reverse the shift pattern so all they have to do is hold push their foot down instead of pulling it up.

With an air shift a delay must be added in order to kill the engine for a shift. Some kill the spark, some kill the fuel and some do both. The minimum time of kill to shift from 1st to 2nd reliably must be around 50 milliseconds. After that you can actually reduce the milliseconds for each progressive gear as it gets easier for the bike to shift.

Bazzaz sells a unit that allows you to tune the delay for each gearshift. MPS has a box with one adjustable range for all the gears and also program your stock ECU to activate and airshifter.

I can't comment on the electric shifters as I have no experience with them.

I love this class as it is as close as you can get to stock bikes drag racing possible and they are the best riders on the planet.:bowdown:

Back