Air Filter Removal Help

Fireman6615

Registered
Sorry for the so simple questions guys. I just picked up a 2006 Busa LE a few weeks ago, posted in the New Owners, and been cruising around getting acquainted with her. So I decided to break out the manual and start checking on the location of a few things. I was going check the condition of the air filter so I raised the tank and started to remove the screws and 3 of the 5 Phillips head screws stripped out, WTF, they seem so brittle. Seems like the previous owner really cranked them down so whats the preferred way to get them out and replace them? Thanks.

Try waiting until the bike cools down so the plastic is not hot and expanded in any way. Also, be sure you are using a fairly new screw driver that is not pointed off from a lot of use.

Use a pair a small needle nose vise grips,mine did it on 2 screws when i checked my air filter last week,then get new screws

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Didn't know if there was some trick to these or not and if it was a common problem. Do you have to replace them with Genuine Suzuki screws or can you get them from say like Hardware store, Lowe's or someplace like that?

the screws are made to tighten down without squashing the plastic,so if you can find screws like them at a hardware store they would work,but will probably have to get genuine because of the way they are made

If you're having trouble getting the stripped ones out, go to home depot, you can get a set of grabits for about eight bucks. They're very useful for damaged or stubborn hardware.

If you're having trouble getting the stripped ones out, go to home depot, you can get a set of grabits for about eight bucks. They're very useful for damaged or stubborn hardware.

+1
I got the Craftsman Easy Outs and they have saved me soooooo many times.

Back