Aftermarket Gauge Installation Help

JPunisher

Registered
I just bought a set of SRP Reverse Illumiglo Gauges for my 06. Suzuki Hayabusa Reverse Style Illumiglo Gauges 1300 1300R GSX GSX1300R 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
I currently have HIDs on the bike and I was wondering if it mattered where I connected the power to. The instructions say that you should splice into the headlights but I fear that it might mess something up. Any thoughts? I also wanted to know if it was possible to test them out before I install them on the bike. I would hate to stick them on just to find out that they don't work correctly. Would a jump directly to the battery be ok or is it possible that I might burn it out?

Thanks,

JPunisher

Actually, you might be able to use the switched power plug in the nose cowl instead of tapping the headlight harness.

Right side of the bike near the turn signal. Black/brown wire, I believe.

Preach on Brother Ken Sir!

Be sure to post some day/night pictures when you are done. I might be interested in doing this too.

I ran mine off the little wire that runs the daytime running light which may be the same wire BigBS is referring to. I have a UK headlight, not sure if the US ones have that same little lamp but I think everybody has the power cable.

I will post full pictures of the install and some thoughts on the kit. I probably won't be able to finish this until the weekend though.

Well I took out the gauge and I noticed that there is a mess of wires. The last owner of the bike installed HIDs and did a crappy job. Anyway, below are pics of the cables on the left and right side.

Right Side
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/354/rightu.jpg

I am assuming that the brown is (+) and black/white (-) with the plug is what you guys were refering to (red circle). With the gauge removed, I connected a multimeter to these two wires (at the contacts from the plug) but there was no voltage. Am I looking at the right thing? If I am, will the gauge need to be plugged in for this brown wire to have power?

Left Side
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/754/leftfp.jpg

Thanks,

JPunisher

Update. I cleaned the contacts on the brown - white/black plug from before and I tried it again. I now have power. I will try to connect the gauges to these.

I bought the bike with HIDs already installed and this plug wasn't connected to anything. All my lights are working. I am almost done with this install and should have pics up in a few days.

I have completed the install. Here are some before and after pics. Thanks for all of the help. I am planning on writing a short tutorial and some thoughts about the kit. It should be out in a couple of days.

Before - Day
ImageShack Links Do Not Work
After - Day
After - Night

That looks great, BTW, I bought these fork caps for ebay for $20 and they actually did come with a subtle Kanji engraving, they would probably look good on yours too.

I just bought a set of SRP Reverse Illumiglo Gauges for my 06. Suzuki Hayabusa Reverse Style Illumiglo Gauges 1300 1300R GSX GSX1300R 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
I currently have HIDs on the bike and I was wondering if it mattered where I connected the power to. The instructions say that you should splice into the headlights but I fear that it might mess something up. Any thoughts? I also wanted to know if it was possible to test them out before I install them on the bike. I would hate to stick them on just to find out that they don't work correctly. Would a jump directly to the battery be ok or is it possible that I might burn it out?

Thanks,

JPunisher

Did you get analog or digital?
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Analog or digital what?

And yes, you can connect the little step-up transformer directly to the battery to test. Don't connect the leads that come directly off the gauges though, that would probably damage them.

Analog or digital what?

And yes, you can connect the little step-up transformer directly to the battery to test. Don't connect the leads that come directly off the gauges though, that would probably damage them.

When checking out they ask if you want to upgrade to a digital inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dehning Re: Aftermarket Gauge Installation Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That looks great, BTW, I bought these fork caps for ebay for $20 and they actually did come with a subtle Kanji engraving, they would probably look good on yours too.

I bought a set a while back but I have not installed them yet as I need to drop the bike in order to tighten them. The allen key screw on the caps are covered by the handle bars.

busa186 Re: Aftermarket Gauge Installation Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bike came the the HIDs already installed when I bought it so I don't know. I am guessing that they are analog.

Dehning Re: Aftermarket Gauge Installation Help

I actually tried that before I installed it to be sure they were working correctly. That double sided tape is very strong and removing the new gauges would be very difficult.

I bought a set a while back but I have not installed them yet as I need to drop the bike in order to tighten them. The allen key screw on the caps are covered by the handle bars.

Funny, that's exactly why I have been riding around with mine just resting on the forks for months now :laugh:

Back