adjusting headlight

oldguy

Registered
Not too much on this when I searched. The manual sucks.

I know I need to take off the plastic panel underneath the headlight. I was trying to reach in there but its a long ways.

I need to raise the headlight.

Which knob will lift the light and I assume it lifts the entire assembly - high and low beams?

I do not want to adjust horizontal.

I think the vertical knob is the one on the bottom of the "top bulb" It can be reached by going through the top of the fairing. The beams are adjusted seperately.

I could shoot the dealership.

Trying to setup these headlights by guess and by God is a #####. That vertical adjustment on the low beam is hard to get at and I gotta go in there one more time - trial and error method. And its no fun by flashlight.

Can someone give me a hand?

I need some kind of starting point to set these lights up.

If someone with a stock busa and newer stock tires could put a board against the tire and measure the height of the low beam and high beam centres, I would really appreciate it.

I'm getting tired of crawling under there and I'm getting old you know. Thanks a million.

let me know to . the lights on mine are lower than my last one . whos the idiot that does the adjustment at the factory?

I'm damned lucky I did'nt have to run in the dark when I brought the bike home. Low beam was as low as it could go. I could'nt see anything past 40 feet. I coulda kept high beam on and got away with it though.

Owners manual instuctions suck big time. I have been trying to raise mine also, cant see a thing more that 20 feet in front of me at night. I guess you have to take off the inner fairing panels to get to the upper vertical adjustment screw. Looks like a ##### to get to.

You can get at it by taking off the bottom panel under the headlights. I used a 1/4 inch drive and socket to get at the high adjuster. There is not quite enough space so its hard getting the socket on. I've got mine fairly close. I can take height measurements for you to give you a starting point if that can help you out. Its a ##### setting up the low beam.

That would be great Oldguy I need all the help I can get Thanks. My highbeam is a little low too, isn't the screw for it on the lower left?

OK. With a tape measure against the front tire as straight as I could get it. The wife holding the bike straight on pavement the measurements are:

Lowbeam (centre of beam) = 33 inches.

Highbeam (centre of beam) = 29.5 inches.

My highbeam seems to be right on. My low beam is a trifle low for one rider but is perfect for two so you may want to go up a hair more.

Hope this helps.

I've emailed suzuki about this and hopefully others will too.

cool.gif

I sent an email to Suzuki Canada about the headlight and my screw problems. The headlight is a definate safety issue.

They said it is the dealer's responsibility to setup the bike.

They did thank me for bringing this to their attention ... ya right.

I had to fill in a survey about the dealer that sold me a new Yamaha a couple years ago. The dealer was quite concerned that I should contact them first before complaining on the survey. Yamaha is very hard on dealers who do not get an A+.

I've never received or been asked for anything from Suzuki.

Oh well ... life goes on ... no big deal.

It's a lot simpler and easier to adjust the headlight if you remove the inner fairings and pull out the guages. After jacking around for 20 minutes and dropping sockets, then finding out I was turning the wrong screw, I did it the easy way.

Just adjusted mine yesterday....I had no clue that anything was wrong, just thought the low beam sucked on these things....Been riding like this since I got the bike last June....ANyway, pulled the nose piece out and reached up there with a 1/4" drive ratchet and a 10mm socket....still a stretch but got on the throttle side upper bolt and had to turn it a bunch to raise the beam....

The bike had to be all the way down when I got it....light would only reach about 20-30 feet in front of me....Now it is much better and I am sure some cars will get annoyed when I hit their eyes...But I would rather see at night and irritate just a few cars rather than not see at all and make everyone happy...

Now I just need to take it out at night and see the difference...I suggest any new owners check the light right away....It is no fun going 65+ mph at night with about 30 feet of light ahead of you...

The Headlight adjustment on the 'Busa, (and the manual, do indeed suck!!
The HIGH beam heighth adjuster is BELOW the LOW Beam adjuster.

Both High and low beam adjusters are located on the RIGHT side of the fairing as you sit on the bike.

The High beam height adjuster can be reached without disasembly if you can locate a 24" extension for your ratchet, and use a universal joint at the socket end, wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the U-joint so it will felx, but not "flop"

The LOW beam height adjuster is WAY UP HIGH in the fairing, and requires removal of the right dash panel, unless you are triple jointed.

Mine came from the dealer with the beam pointing 10 feet in front of the bike. I asked the dealer to adjust it at the 600 mile service, and it came back 12 feet in front of the bike, so I had to figure it out myself.

Mike In Illinois

Back