? about gen 1 coil packs

the only problem I have with replacing them all thee bike only has 1300 miles on it and I put 800 of those on it since buying it. looks like it has sat in the rain so I dunno if that hole had water in it and that caused it or somethin else happened. I just went to change the plugs cause I they have been in there since the bike was new in 06.

I'm just guessing but that coil looks WAY older than 1300 miles?
Mine is an 06 with 14,000 miles and my coils look like new.

Anybody else have coils that look like that?

your kidding about 07's being different right??? I agree but that is what it has according to the cluster and the title. the rotors were barely scratched and nipples still on the tireswhen I picked it up. it had just shy of 500 when I bought it about 3 weeks ago. Seems to have been sitting outside unfortunatly.

Last edited:
Hello all, I know this is an old thread but I am new on here and this was exactly what I was looking for!! My bike got to the point that it was missing and back firing and when I removed the coils I have one like this. The problem moved to other pots when I moved the coil as well proving that this must be leaking..... Sometimes the problem even goes away for a bit but always comes back. Have ordered a 2nd hand set that are in good nic so fingers crossed they will be ok.

Did resistance test on coil though and was within tolerances...... no test you can do with them fitted will really tell you if this is the problem; except a miss fire! Can't wait for the new ones to turn up now!

My bike has done 34k miles now since 2000 when it was new; so don't mind spending a bit on it from time to time.

Again; thanks for a great forum with good suggestions and answers! I will be back!:bowdown:

Thanks fella but have already ordered some from a breakers yard...... I reckon RMS2005 probably has some by now too.
Cheers though.

yes replace it for sure you can get a voltage leak to ground

Must have been what was happening. New ones came today and look in great condition (no splits anyway). Fitted and not a miss fire in sight!! Ran up to temp with no issues. Hopefully thats it sorted now!!

Anyone know what causes them to split??

Back