? about gen 1 coil packs

RMS2005

Registered
Ok I went to change my plugs today and when I pulled the #1 coil pack I found it is split down the side.although I havent noticed the bike running weird I want another one unless some one tell me this wont hurt nuthin and I dont see that coming. question is can I just replace one of them or are they a matched set?

coil.jpg

Definitely replace it. Last thing you want is to start misfiring and dumping raw fuel into the oil.

Use some Dielectric grease on them also.

Last edited:
I think i would probably do all 4 if i were you. I mean, they're all the same age, so you may as well do them all.

dunno about everyone else, but if it were me i would replace it.

You were having problems from the look of the oxidation. Just did not feel it.
How many miles do you have on it and how old is it? Those are some factors to consider. Cost?
If it is not too expensive and you can afford to replace all... it's your call.

Last edited:
You can easily test the other coils to make sure they're still within tolerances. There's no reason to replace them all unless there is something wrong with them. Any coil that has visible damage should be replaced right away.

In the meantime, you can clean that coil pack with a little acetone and wrap it with self-vulcanizing rubber tape, overlayed with Scotch 33+ electrical tape, both available at Home Depot or Lowes. Don't cheap out on the electrical tape.

the only problem I have with replacing them all thee bike only has 1300 miles on it and I put 800 of those on it since buying it. looks like it has sat in the rain so I dunno if that hole had water in it and that caused it or somethin else happened. I just went to change the plugs cause I they have been in there since the bike was new in 06.

never mind i didnt get the full post that bike is an 06 and only has 1300 on it... ??? get on that thing and ride....:poke::laugh:

Back