A lesson in Green A/C systems

TallTom

Registered
3 years ago I replaced my A/C systems. I have 2.

At that time we the consumer were told we have to purchase the new greener freon systems. The old systems and the freon that was used not friendly to the environment.

I understood. And the new system was installed. Higher Seer rating. Cost about 12K.

My downstairs unit wasn't blowing cold. Called my guy. Yes it will be covered under warranty. Good news right?

I returned home late in the day. To a once again cool house.

And a Freon bill of $450.

Umm....what?

Yessir it's out of our control. We can't use that freon anymore. I had to install the newer freon.

Wait, this was the new freon. Yessir it was but it's not any longer. It's been taken off the market. It will be officially illegal beginning in 2023.

That was made part of the Biden green bill.

But wait 3 years ago this was latest and greatest freon. That system was expensive because of it.

Well sir you haven't heard the worst if it. The new freon will be butane based.

Wait....what....Butane. Wasn't that outlawed?

Yep.

And now we are going back to Butane? Yes but it's got added things to make it less flammable and more thermally stable.

But um why can't we just go back and alter the freon we used for 30 years.

That's not the way green works.

They force the new freon on us because everyone has to make new equipment that will run it more efficiently. Your system will sort of run it but not as efficiently as the new 2023 version of green.

So umm OK what happens if my recent system falls out of warranty and I need a repair?

Well we won't be allowed to repair it. We won't be able to charge it if it needs freon.

Wait that's not right.

Yessir. Let me tell you what's happening. We and all the other contractors are buying and hoarding the current freon.

Why are you doing that?

Because in 2023 we won't be able to buy it.

So OK why $450 today.

Because when I installed this it was $35 a tank. Now it's $800. I have to have you pay the difference because Freon is not warrantied. And Rheem won't pay me the difference.

And umm the really bad news is a new system will be almost 50% higher in cost.

Yeah Eff Green Technology!

R-134a has increased over the past year astronomically, I feel bad when people come in to buy a tank and the bill is almost 4 times as much as last year...

R-134a has increased over the past year astronomically, I feel bad when people come in to buy a tank and the bill is almost 4 times as much as last year...
And now they go BACK to a Butane based FREON. Because it's more efficient at cooling!

I said wait what do you mean "less flammable"? So it's flammable. But somehow if it blows up it won't be as hot? (Sort of being sarcastic).

He's like yep. Now we will have a flammability concern. Which of course will drive cost there. It won't be highly flammable but still, my commercial insurance is gonna rise.

And the new old freon that they are outlawing is only 1% different in the ozone contribution, than the new new freon will be. 1 freaking %!

So to make everything look "greener" they are going to do away with SEER rating. To make it look better.

Sort of like how instead of everyone eating better, they just change the clothes sizes to normalize fat people.

He said you were lucky to buy when you did. New construction installs are gonna cost what a pool will. In their brilliance they are outlawing the material that was pretty widely used to build the duct work. The new stuff, if you can get it is stupidly high.

Green......my ass!

And now they go BACK to a Butane based FREON. Because it's more efficient at cooling!

I said wait what do you mean "less flammable"? So it's flammable. But somehow if it blows up it won't be as hot? (Sort of being sarcastic).

He's like yep. Now we will have a flammability concern. Which of course will drive cost there. It won't be highly flammable but still, my commercial insurance is gonna rise.

And the new old freon that they are outlawing is only 1% different in the ozone contribution, than the new new freon will be. 1 freaking %!

So to make everything look "greener" they are going to do away with SEER rating. To make it look better.

Sort of like how instead of everyone eating better, they just change the clothes sizes to normalize fat people.

He said you were lucky to buy when you did. New construction installs are gonna cost what a pool will. In their brilliance they are outlawing the material that was pretty widely used to build the duct work. The new stuff, if you can get it is stupidly high.

Green......my ass!
Best refrigerant I've ever used is propane and cheap but if you have a leak in your vehicle and light a smoke BOOM hahahahaha. We are producing new semis with R-450a which is even more money....

Best refrigerant I've ever used is propane and cheap but if you have a leak in your vehicle and light a smoke BOOM hahahahaha. We are producing new semis with R-450a which is even more money....
I've heard of this. So I know it works. Mexico and Central America still uses it. I thought it was some sort of a rip off to not have to use the high priced freon. But apparently it's used because it works pretty good, is cheap and yeah don't get a leak.....lol

Back