A Day in the Life of Santa Barbara Co, CA

Great pics. Some of those roads look like perfect super-moto material.
beerchug.gif

And still with that black left side kidney...
smile.gif
Great pics a usual!

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Makes me wish I lived near the coast again. That is a beautiful area.

(ks-waterbug @ Nov. 08 2006,22:53) I love checking out your post, especially with pictures! Always a delight! Thanks for posting up........  
beerchug.gif
+1 Great post

You were in my back yard! I ride Jalama, Santa Rosa and Alisos Canyon all the time. GREAT roads. Did you hit Foxen and Tepusquet too? If not, you gotta do it next time you're down this way. Great pics bro.

Amazing pics...as usual. I'm not even impressed anymore because I'm already expecting them to be great photos.
wink.gif

Okay Busa Owners, here's a bit more of the carrot.
lurk.gif
As this was a multi-day ride of seeking the ultimate backroads in this region of Southern California, here's some more teaser pics from the day prior. Might inspire an adventure or two.

Hwy 119, Taft, CA
Img_2343-Hwy119.jpg

The ride starts around Taft, CA... Oil town. Drillin' for the black stuff... Black Gold, Texas Tea, ooop

Img_2344-drilling.jpg

...along Hwy 119 headed into Taft. Feels like open desert. However, see those hills in the far distance. Oh Yeah!!

Img_2345-Hwy119.jpg

Let's get that desert far, far away. A famous back road in these parts- Soda Lake Rd...

Img_2356-SodaLakeRd.jpg

Of course they call it that b/c of that white stuff over there.

Img_2353-SodaLakeRd.jpg

This is the panoramic - can ya tell? Trick is to shoot two side-by-side 'portrait style' photographs, and later glue to them together. Gives you a wider shot, however, with the final product, hard to tell.

Img_2358_SodaLakeRd.jpg

You may notice a bit of repetition in the style of shot. That's on purpose, in effect I'm taking the same style shot over and over, pretty much going for that magazine-cover-shot in different spots.

And besides, love photos like this!
Img_2377-SodaLakeRd.jpg

The Pashnit Busa
beerchug.gif

Img_2361-SodaLakeRd.jpg

Back to the teaser pics. Love shots like this. I wonder where that road leads. Truth be told, it leads to a whole lotta gravel.

Img_2370-SodaLakeRd.jpg

And this... Carrizo Plain National Monument

Img_2378-CarrizoPlain.jpg

End of the line campers. Not today, nor on this bike.

Img_2371-SodaLakeRd.jpg

Back to another amazing thrill ride- Cerro Noroeste Rd.

Img_2388-CerroBusa.jpg

Every now and then, I get asked about photo advice, so if you can tolerate my ramblings, here's a little diddy.

Different version of the same photo above. Which do you like best?

Pashnit Photo Tip: The trick with this set, or rather style of photo, is to get the position of the motorcyle just right in the photo. If you were to draw 1-inch gridlines across these two photos, where should the bike go on the grid, and how big, or prominent, should the bike be in the photo(s). Not too big, not to small (I'll actually walk back and forth, right and left staring at the screen to find that balance).

I want the bike in the crux of that curve so it sort of fits into the photograph. Is your eye drawn to the road, the bike, or the treeless expanse? Also note the position of the sun, which is important on a bright sunny cloudless SoCal day. I was actually headed the opposite direction, and turned around & parked to set this shot up.

See the position of the shadow? I'm shooting into the sun (which will make the road glow btw- important to point that out), and so the bike is actually darker (colors) this way- in turn throwing more emphasis to the road and scene, less on the bike. Don't care what type of motorcycle this is, only that it's a motorcycle.

Trick is to blend all those ideas with a high degree of balance in order to tell a story, and create something that's very pleasing to the eye. So that's the trick. Also note by leaving the headlight on creates a sense of activity in a still photo.

Img_2387-CerroNoroeste-Busa.jpg

See those mountains... Southern California! Many a motorcyclist's playground. You're basically looking at the range that starts off at the Pacific, and stretches across California cutting it off from the rest of the world.

Img_2383-CerroNoroeste.jpg

My, my

Img_2391-CerroNoroeste.jpg

Climbing in elevation, Cerro Noroeste Rd nears the summit of Mt. Pinos - el. 8831.

Img_2396-CerroNoroesteRd.jpg

A northerly view of Highway 33. Behind me, the ride heads up and over the 5100 ft Pine Mountain Summit.

Img_2436-Hwy33.jpg

Skipping westerly ho on Hwy 166. Wide open stuff. Busa country. I once watched some ride video some years ago of these two busa who were just flyin' averaging 90-120 mph throughout the whole vid at least- whole vid was shot on this road. Watched that even before I bought the busa. Back in the ZX-11D days.
biggrin.gif

Img_2438-Hwy166.jpg

Okay, okay, here's the real adventure. So in preparation for this ride, I wanted to know if particular roads were paved or no. Found out some info that a road known as Cottonwood Canyon Rd was paved. Okay, let's go ride clear across the state and go find out.

Was greeted by this scene. My jaw dropped. Eye Candy!!

Img_2446-CottonwoodCanyonRd.jpg

Thought I'd discovered an unknown gem!!

Img_2451-CottonwoodCanyonRd900.jpg

Virginia, we have a winner!

Img_2460-CottonwoodCanyonRd.jpg

Then this, no biggy. Just roll on through, easy.

Img_2452-CottonwoodCynWater.jpg

Then this happened... name change to Foothill Rd.

Img_2455-FoothillRd.jpg

Then this happened. The joke was on me.
rant.gif

Img_2456-CottonwoodCanyon.jpg

I finally thought of giving up when this degraded to just gravel. Oh well, mine as well press on, right. Then just rocks. Hmm. Doesn't look so good. Then just rocks the size of my fist. Okay, Okay, I give.
sad.gif

Img_2459-FoothillsRd.jpg

At least it was quite a view.

Img_2457-FoothillsRd.jpg

Panoramic

Img_2459-900.jpg

Had to double back to Hwy 166 and skip south on one of the all time favorites of local motorcyclists in the know!

You asked about Tepusquet Rd... Uh huh!!

Img_2468-TepusquetRd.jpg

Dialed out a bit -view from the ridgeline. Now time to assail the backside on down the canyon!

Img_2469-TepusquetRd.jpg

Love the Goat? But want smooth pavement? Got just the thing!

Img_2472-TepusquetRd.jpg

Back