A Day in the Life of Santa Barbara Co, CA

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Well boys and girls, whipped another set of pics from one of my goat trail explorin' adventures on the busa, you know I have to post up for all to enjoy. This was a multi-day solo ride I did a while back during greener days with just a county level map and a highlighter.

Goal was to quite simply ride each and every worthy road going west to east starting at the Pacific Ocean giving further adage that the Hayabusa is a fantastic goat trail explorin' machine. Covered like 25 roads and shot nearly 500 pictures in 3 days for future inclusion in my pages. Enjoy.
cool.gif

The ride went something like this: Up at dawn to a foggy morning, the air moist and wet. The one and only road that's paved, and accessible to the ocean in this region is Jalama Beach Rd. Very cool road, lots of surfer traffic even at the early hour.

Endless twists and turns- were you expecting anything else on a Pashnit Ride?

Img_2546-JalamaBeachRd.jpg

Looking north- that's Vandenburg AFB in the distance. They test ballistic missles out there launching them over the ocean every once in a great while.

Img_2536-JalamaBeachRd.jpg

Jalama Beach just south of Vandenburg AFB- there's a great restaurant here that riders make a beeline for the hamburgers. Not a bad view either.

Img_2541-JalamaBeachRd.jpg

The bike at Jalama Beach- looks good, eh?
super.gif

Img_2542-Jalama.jpg

Then on over to Santa Rosa Rd which is just outside of Lompoc

Img_2560-SantaRosaRd2.jpg

Vineyards, orchards and farmland along Santa Rosa Rd

Img_2555-SantaRosaRd.jpg

Then on over to Alisal Rd - very cool ride past Nojoqui Falls (another must see) on into Solvang...

Img_2571-AlisalRd.jpg

...and ride right past the Solvang Motorcycle Museum.

I didn't have the time to stop, but here's a teaser pic from a subsequent ride.

Img_7130-Yale.jpg

Photography of the bikes at the Museum if you like
smile.gif

Windmill in the Danish town of Solvang

Img_2576-Solvang.jpg

Skip north out of Solvang on Ballard Canyon Rd (might need a county level map to find it- I did. Truth be told, I needed a city street map of Solvang to find it, but then again, I came prepared.)

Img_2586-BallardCanyonRd.jpg

What dreams are made of. At least my motorcycle dreams that is.
beerchug.gif

Img_2589-BallardCanyonRd.jpg

Then a few miles later- it was time to assail the Adventure Ride known as Figueroa Mountain Rd! Had no idea what to expect. And it started off pretty good.

Img_2593-FigMtnRd.jpg

The view back at Solvang as the elevation began to climb.

Img_2595-FigMtnRd.jpg

Although I quickly began to realized it was not for the wimpy wimpy.

Img_2597-FigMtnRd.jpg

Near the summit, a sign pointed to the Summit Lookout. Hmm, okay. Mine as well. Note how steep. What goes up must come down.

Img_2601-FigMtnLookout.jpg

Quick detour off the main road to the summit went something like this. Too bad I hadn't brought that Buell Ulysses for this that'd I recently road tested. Where no Hayabusa has gone before. Quickly realized this was a poor choice, and the gravel road was so steep, it was both boots out to catch myself if I lost the front going downhill. I survived dragging the back brake down the hill. There was no lookout, just a picnic area.
sad.gif

Img_2602-FigMtnRd.jpg

However, along the way was this amazing view! I would have missed it if I'd stayed on the main Fig Mtn Rd & hadn't taken this gravel road to the summit.

Img_2605-FigMtnSummitView.jpg

After my anti-climatic detour- Back on Figueroa Mtn Rd continuing eastward, the view though was incredible!!! We go that way!!!

Img_2603-FigMtnRd.jpg

My own private paradise. Just me n the busa.

Img_2613-FigMtnRd.jpg

Although keep in mind we're riding atop a moutainous ridgeline.
Which of course entails jaw-dropping view!! That's Santa Barbara below the fog. My magazine cover shot.

At the summit
Img_2637-Figeroa.jpg

The descent. Not reccomended for most. An adventure to the rest!! Okay, so 95% was paved. Sort of. The fog got so thick, I could see about 20-30 feet in front of me. Now descending. Road name change to Happy Canyon Rd.

You call that a road? Not so happy. Tepid at best.
Img_2657-FigMtnRd.jpg

Couple water crossings

Img_2652-HappyCanyonRd.jpg

If you see a sign full of bullet holes that looks like this... You know you're on the right road.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Img_2655-sign.jpg

Finally, The happy part
smile.gif

Img_2653-HappyCanyonRd.jpg

biggrin.gif

Name change to Amour Ranch Rd - all ranchland (very expensive real estate- lot of local movie stars, even Michael Jackson lives nearby in these parts)

Img_2666-AmourRnchRd.jpg

Those hills over there are right by Solvang.

Img_2670-AmourRnchRd.jpg

Btw, Busa owners may not want to ride Refugio Rd which heads south out of Solvang up and over the coast range to the Pacific Ocean. Wee bit of water. This was my 6th water crossing by now. Ah, but then again you might want to test out that new VStrom. You can go. Rest of us may have to reconsider.

Img_2683-RefugioRd.jpg

Finally gave up when a jeep went blowing by with 'Adventure Tours' stenciled on the side. So Refugio Rd may be a bit much, once it started getting rocky, had to re-think my strategy. If you do explore it, rides up and over the coast range, and comes out right at the Pacific Ocean!
smile.gif

Img_2685-RefugioRd.jpg

Ever heard of a lil ride called Camino Cielo? It goes both east and west along the mountain ridgeline. The western side isn't all paved (San Marcos Pass- major highway- divides it in half). The eastern side, well sort of. Not for the set that wants to ride over to Starbucks and then go home.

Things started off pretty good. Or at least I thought.

Img_2692-CaminoCieloRd.jpg

Plus gotta sneak a gratuitous Busa shot. Lookin' good there Pashnit!
beerchug.gif
biggrin.gif

Img_2690-Ceilo.jpg

Then it all went bad. But then again, your wondering just how bad can it get??

Img_2694-CaminoCieloRd.jpg

How about bad, to worse. Or worser. Which ever comes first.

Img_2695-CaminoCieloRd.jpg

But then again, you never know where the road might lead. The curiousity, the sense of Adventure. Hayabusa- you didn't know it could be used as an Adventure Sport-Touring Machine? Now you do. Although I left my full knobbies at home.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Name change here to Gibralter Rd.

Img_2721-GilbralterRd.jpg

And always been a sucker for a good view. Welcome to Pashnit California!

Img_2724-CaminoCieloRd.jpg

biggrin.gif

And like everything in California, the roads are endlessly twisty, and lined with $5 Million dollar houses. You see that one there, it was for sale- think it was $6 million. No lie. That's the Pacific Ocean beyond the haze.

Img_2730-GibralterRd.jpg

Last pic - of Hwy 150 outside of Ojai. A day of great roads- fog, ocean & mountains, water crossings, potholes & gravel, but also brilliant fields of green grass, incredible views and endless curves.

Img_2754-Hwy150.jpg

Back