9 DAYS, 6593 MILES, 19 STATES... YEAH, IT WAS FUN!

(stlbusarider @ Aug. 27 2007,15:52) Wow what a trip, how many miles in total on your bike now?
bowdown.gif
69592 miles.
But I picked up the bike in August of '04 with 2900 miles on it. I think the guy I bought it from was scared of it, plus, I think he rode with a lot of Harley guys that were giving him grief because the front pad didn't look like they had been touched but the rears were GONE!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It was a blast! I like to do one super long ride a year. Two years ago it was just The Gap. Last year, it was a loop of Cali and Oregon. I want to finish what I started and do a speed run to Ottawa and Montreal next year... but in MAY! No more heat for me.
laugh.gif

I don't think I tour like most long distance riders. Some like to go from campsite to campsite, roughing it with enough gear to rebuild an engine if necessary. Braving the elements like adventurers on an epic trek.

I like to go long distances, too.
Just from hotel to hotel.
Very, very, quickly.
That's what I bought this bike for.

The dream gear for the dream ride: Three weeks, a small backpack, couple of clean t-shirts, and a virgin VISA card. Just once though, I'd like to do that ride without checking the Weather Channel every gas stop to see if I'm going to survive the next hour of God's wrath. I live in LA and the Busa is my daily ride (I think I put 6000 miles a year on the car but 20K+ on the bike. Hey, if you live in a place that has a year-round riding season it's darn near a sin not to take advantage). But after a certain amount of city riding you have the need to just be able to ride a few hundred miles, unmolested. 300 miles of open road with a few twisties thrown in and some evil sweepers is pure heaven!

It's just nice to know there's a warm bed waiting for you at the Marriott when you get to the end of a 600 mile day.
smile.gif

I agree on the Hotel deal
super.gif
. When I do a Tour, I just LOVE a HOT shower and a Private Room at the end of the Day. Get some sleep, get up, grab some Coffee  
coffee.gif
and head out for another Day of Travel. I just Love Hampton Inns  
biggrin.gif

My time, My Pace  
race.gif

Finished reading this just now and all I have to say is
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

Oh, and I'm crying over your BMMG (BlackMamaMotorcycleGuilt)
laugh.gif
Enjoyed every minute of reading...just great!!
beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

(kontrhovercie @ Aug. 28 2007,07:14) Hey, what was the budget for a trip like this?
Don't know his, but my trips to North Carolina going from North Centeral Oklahoma through Alabama, Ga, South Carolina to the Coast in North Carolina and back (3100 miles) is around $1,200  
wink.gif
. That includes gas, tolls, Hotel Room and Food for 9 nights and 10 days. It does not include taking relatives out to eat in Ga., SC, NC or tire replacement or servicing on my return. Depending on your Hotel/Motel selection this can of course change, BUT NOT BY MUCH  
beerchug.gif

Me too, and I write for a living. You got it man! You have a major start on a good book, or an article for an airline mag, travel mag, etc -- really! They pay good...

(DaCol. @ Aug. 28 2007,21:32)
(kontrhovercie @ Aug. 28 2007,07:14) Hey, what was the budget for a trip like this?
Don't know his, but my trips to North Carolina going from North Centeral Oklahoma through Alabama, Ga, South Carolina to the Coast in North Carolina and back (3100 miles) is around $1,200
wink.gif
. That includes gas, tolls, Hotel Room and Food for 9 nights and 10 days. It does not include taking relatives out to eat in Ga., SC, NC or tire replacement or servicing on my return. Depending on your Hotel/Motel selection this can of course change, BUT NOT BY MUCH
beerchug.gif
WOW! $1200 was just about right. Days Inn and Quality Inn were the nicest places. Very reasonable with AAA discount plus they throw in a complementary breakfast, too. I thought the Two Wheel Inn concept at The Gap was very cool. I would be nice to have a bunch of those places scattered along the interstates.

Dude...that's my kind of riding. A friend of mine and I are going to Seattle for Labor Day...care to join us?

Depart SDiego Friday morning, bed down in SFrancisco. Depart SF Saturday morning, bed down in Seattle. Depart Seattle Sunday Morning, bed down SFrancisco. Depart SFrancisco Monday morning, home Monday night.

Anyone?

Congrats on a totally successful trip. The lessons you learned could have only been learned in one place...exactly where you were.

Rock on.

Scar

(Scar @ Aug. 29 2007,01:20) Dude...that's my kind of riding. A friend of mine and I are going to Seattle for Labor Day...care to join us?

Depart SDiego Friday morning, bed down in SFrancisco. Depart SF Saturday morning, bed down in Seattle. Depart Seattle Sunday Morning, bed down SFrancisco. Depart SFrancisco Monday morning, home Monday night.

Anyone?

Congrats on a totally successful trip. The lessons you learned could have only been learned in one place...exactly where you were.

Rock on.

Scar
A high mileage BusaBrudder from LoCal! My hometown!

Can't make that trip this time but it sounds like a blast. We definitely have to hook up in the future. Maybe 395 to Tahoe or Mammouth Mtn. before it gets too cold and snowy up there then come back down through the Sequoias. Did the Sequoias last year in the car. HAVE to do it on the bike.
super.gif

Back