3 Day Endurance Rally announcement

viol8r

Registered
What a wealth of info Joe. Thanks. I did about 900 miles with my wife in about 16 hrs. once and we stopped and fooled around a couple times butt our asses were sore at the end. That was at the end of a 4800 mile ride in 16 days with visiting. I'll be around :)
Have fun

[This message has been edited by viol8r (edited 17 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by viol8r (edited 17 December 1999).]

I haven't done a 1000 mile day on the Busa yet butt I plan to this spring. I usually ride an ST1100 which is much more comfortable over the long haul.

I just thought it might be interesting to have one of the Busa riders try this rally.

I've been trying to setup my Busa for more comfort over the long haul. I've added a Gel seat, Heli-bars, a SportTouring windshield, electric jacket plug in, and a Scott Oiler. I'll be adding aux lights and a radar detector soon along with a CB/radio unit. I'll also need a hydration system.

This will never be the optimum long distance bike but it will be fun riding.

Later dude.

Joe

I did it on a harley fxrt. I've only done a couple 300's at a time on the busa and I didn't feel to bad after.

Long distance capability may one of the Hayabusa's beat kept secrets. Lots of .org guys have reported 400+ mile days without major discomfort. I've done a couple of 400's and a bunch more 300's that would have wrecked me on other bikes I've had.

My one and only cross country was a trip from upstate NY to Colorado Springs. It was on an 85 Goldwing and I did back to back 900 mile days both going and returning. After about 400 miles on each day I developed severe lower back pain. I think it was caused by the upright seating position. For me the Busa riding position may actually be better than the Goldwing because it stretches the back out and takes some weight off the spine.

Another plus for the H on long rides is the effortless way it makes power and turns. You just don't have to use much energy to get where you're going.

It will be interesting to see what happens if some Busas get into the long distance rallies.

I'm not sure how interested you busa riders will be in this but I'm putting on an Iron Butt-like endurance rally in August. It's a three day rally that will start in Washington. Our first checkpoint will be in Calgary, Alberta (Canada). The second checkpoint will be in Boise, Idaho.

Bonus locations will be in WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, NV, CA, and B.C. and Alberta, Canada.

Here's a URL for more details.

http://www.oz.net/~zldrider/northwestpassage/NEWMain.htm

More info about the Iron Butt Association is located on http://www.ironbutt.com/ including what a Saddle Sore is (our one rally prerequisite).

Let me know if any of you crazies are interested. ;-)

Joe Zulaski

Each of the past two weeks, I took Friday off and rode the big bad busa down to the Hill Country from Dallas. I'm trying to burn vacation days, so I did both days primarily by myself.

Back roads all the way. Nearly 700 miles the first Friday in exactly 12 hours with several stops, lunch break with a bud etc. No complaints about the Busa or it's comfort. I slept good that night, but no complaints.

The second Friday, I did a repeat with different roads, but met a bud down in Austin and we road back together on back roads east of I-35. right at 550 miles, and no complaints.

I've got the gen-mar risers, which I think are a tremendous help. I just got the double bubble in this week, but haven't had it out on the road, just around town. I can sure see my guages better though!

Well, I for one am going to enter my Hayabusa in at least one long distance rally. I'm signed up for 4 this year. But first, I need to make some changes to the bike and start my own exercise program (I'm a bit overweight).

Has anyone added a Scott Oiler to their Busa that you know of? I want to decrease the intervals between having to manually service the chain.

I may have to try the GenMar risers. I got the Helibars but they hardly are worth it. Only about an inch if that of change. And, they're not adjustable at all.

Joe Zulaski

Zldrider, if you want more height than the Helis give you, you won't get it from the GenMars by themselves. The Helis raise the bars 1 1/2" and are 1/2"wider and 1/2" farther back. The GenMars are a plate which fits under the bars and raise them 3/4". I have both, have ridden with both, one at a time, and am now running the GenMars under the Helis. Someone else around here came up with the idea, and I thought I'd try it. Been riding with them for a couple of weeks. Gives a total of 2 1/4" raise which I like, but the GenMars, unlike the Helis are very noticeable, and leave holes around the suspension adjusters, plus they add probably a pound of weight up high, while the Helis look stock and weigh the same as stock bars.
The installation of GenMars under Helis is a bit tricky also. Had to get more slack for the upper part of the front brake line, and move some wires and cables around. It all fit, but just barely. Then had to trim the lower edge of the ZG Sport Tour screen for clearance. Works fine, and if I was going Iron Butting I'd definitely consider it. I'm putting braided lines on the front, so I'll get them a bit longer to return the slack to original specs.If anyone does this mod, I recommend doing that.
My only gripes about the mod are that I think the GenMars are ugly and add weight up high. Bikes have a way of gradually gaining weight like most riders. With this bike I've really worked to keep the weight down. I'm still not sure if I will keep the double setup, although it is comfortable.

Do the Helibars change the handling at all
and does the mor upright position put you
more in the "jetstream"
thanks

Konrad, The Helis do put you up in the windstream a little more. Very slight. The slight lift would move the rider's weight back a tiny bit, but not enough to notice in the turns. No handling change that I can feel. The biggest change is in heavy traffic, at low speed. Old bars killed my wrists;Helis helped a lot.

Back