2006 Busa, 25k miles. Yet another starting problem.

LeeFL2

Registered
Hey guys. I was posting in Vipermans thread but I am going to separate my problem from his since they might be different in nature.

My bike has been having difficulty starting after a long ride.

I dont think its a temperature issue because the bike warms up in about twenty minutes and my problem only develops after an hour or so of riding.

I have two good batteries so that has been eliminated.

I tested the charging system and found it to be charging a little too hot, 14.95-15 Volts, give or take. I'm guessing that at highway speeds in the high rpm range it might be overcharging my battery.

I did a regulator test and found that my regulator had a bunch of open circuits accross quite a few diodes. I ordered a new one and should see it here in a few days.

In the mean time, I was hoping that some of you could get a voltmeter to your bikes battery while running, and get me your batts voltage. Like I said, Mine shows 15volts.

I will post pics below of my regulator readings.

For the sake of elimination, I disassembled my idler gears(1 and 2) and my starter clutch. All looked well.

I'm hoping its the regulator.

PS: I touched the regulator after a short ride and it was pretty hot. Maybe 150 degrees.

Cheers, Lee

Check your battery volts at idle and 5k rpm both when its cold and after long ride. Also do the same test to your stator.

The rectifier will be hot that's why its heat sinked and why the cowling is open on the tail section to cool it down.

Try getting it hot to replicate the problem then quickly swap in your known good charged battery.

My guess is you could get it hot, have the problem, let it cool and it will start up. Over and over again without charging the battery.

Would also advise you to replicate the problem and using a high amp car battery jump the starter directly by grounding the starter with the jumper cables and firmly tapping the terminal on the starter. If it does the same thing you know its not anything from the starter back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here are the factory regulator diode test specs

And this was the results of my regulator test. Notice all the open circuits

Check your battery volts at idle and 5k rpm both when its cold and after long ride. Also do the same test to your stator.

The rectifier will be hot that's why its heat sinked and why the cowling is open on the tail section to cool it down.

Try getting it hot to replicate the problem then quickly swap in your known good charged battery.

My guess is you could get it hot, have the problem, let it cool and it will start up. Over and over again without charging the battery.

Would also advise you to replicate the problem and using a high amp car battery jump the starter directly by grounding the starter with the jumper cables and firmly tapping the terminal on the starter. If it does the same thing you know its not anything from the starter back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good stuff Jeffrey. I will try to replicate it this weekend.

That rear cowling is a pain and its tricky riding without it cause the cops would frown upon it.:whistle:

As far as letting it cool down, I had to wait overnight to be able to crank it again. I waited about three hours and the bi#tch would not crank over. I had to push start it in front of the crowds at the Miami boat show. Embarassing to say the least.:banghead:

Replicating the darn problem isnt easy either. It takes it a good hour or two to happen. I would assume the bike is fully hot in 20 minutes or so...

Swapping batts or jumping the starter is definately the way to isolate this clusterf#$K.

Last edited:
Idler gear #2(top) and Starter clutch(bottom):

Easy way to get the bolt loose without special tool:

Starter clutch appart:

I've never had that problem with my 06, but I'm reading details now in case I run across later. Great post, sorry your having issues, especially in front of the crowd.

Hi,

first of all, while pushing the starter knob, do you hear the "click" of the starter relay? Or better to say, did you check the starter gets the needed current?

Next idea:
Did you check all the needed washers in the whole assembly? (I have once used two of the curved spring washers instead of one and the starter made noises as to start a cruise liner's engine :whistle:)
Please have a look at the manual to see which washer has to be where....

Ciao
D1

Back