2003 le

aLLsTaR617

Registered
Hi everyone, after researching online I was wondering what are the tell tale signs of a 03 LE? I purchased the bike privately from someone that didn't really know what he had.He dropped the bike once and never rode again, just minor scuffs. Sat for a year and a half. It was a custom bike when he bought it Already custom painted and stretched with all the goodies. So long story short, after stripping the bike down and making it my own noticed the polished frame was black b4, because it was not polished all the way behind the air ducts. Also after taking off the plastics that was custom painted I can see the original paint was the LE orange for that year. So maybe I scored big on this purchase :) So any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, after researching online I was wondering what are the tell tale signs of a 03 LE? I purchased the bike privately from someone that didn't really know what he had.He dropped the bike once and never rode again, just minor scuffs. Sat for a year and a half. It was a custom bike when he bought it Already custom painted and stretched with all the goodies. So long story short, after stripping the bike down and making it my own noticed the polished frame was black b4, because it was not polished all the way behind the air ducts. Also after taking off the plastics that was custom painted I can see the original paint was the LE orange for that year. So maybe I scored big on this purchase :) So any help would be appreciated.

It's the "Anniversary Edition"...not a "LE" Limited Edition...they listed for about $500 more than standard color bikes available in '03. They had a black frame and swingarm, and were the burnt orange metallic color...

Not worth anymore than any other '03...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok kool thanks for the reply. Not hoping it was worth more, but just wanted to know what I had.

Is it a US bike or Canadian? US was a LE with Orange and Canadian was Black SE which they didn't import many of (something like 180 total).

Still can't believe someone would buy a SE/LE with the black frame just to strip it down and polish/chrome it... :banghead:

Is it a US bike or Canadian? US was a LE with Orange and Canadian was Black SE which they didn't import many of (something like 180 total).
US model
Still can't believe someone would buy a SE/LE with the black frame just to strip it down and polish/chrome it... :banghead:

Me neither but glad it looks nice.

I have this bike. It is worth a little more, however all that made it special has been wiped out on yours. By the times you made it right, you've spent some bucks.

I just went thru a garage drop on mine and yes they valued it higher due to the difficulty in finding that particular Edition. They finally agreed it was worth enough to not total it. Had it been a regular 03, they would have totalled it.

do you have any pics?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301761845.200751.jpg

I have this bike. It is worth a little more, however all that made it special has been wiped out on yours. By the times you made it right, you've spent some bucks.

I just went thru a garage drop on mine and yes they valued it higher due to the difficulty in finding that particular Edition. They finally agreed it was worth enough to not total it. Had it been a regular 03, they would have totalled it.

Does this model have a special vin or sumthing on the title to prove it's a particular edition? because my title just say gsxr 130

You'd have to check against Suzuki data but yes the VIN would be traceable to a 40th AE. This part wouldn't be hard to do cosmetically, but on the triple tree, the label says 40th Anniversary Edition.

That could easily be done cosmetically. The paint however, is specific to that year and that Edition. The color cannot be perfectly matched. The color code isn't the issue, its the metallic is applied by robot and are all done in exactly the same way with the exact same air, distance etc. It would be hard to get that color back correct without plastic replacement. And you still need to powder coat the frame back to black.

The bike you have looks nice as it is. Probably had a go-down where they learned all of the above and simply re-sprayed to that color. That would have been way cheaper than correct plastic replacement.

Back