2000 Starting Issue

instigator1225

Registered
so my new to me 2000 hayabusa with 15,331 miles (ive put roughly 1500 miles on it in under a month since i bought it). when the bike runs it seems to run great no real hiccups or feeling of loss of power. i get a slight random "chug" feeling below 3k bogging it down cruising but nothing i wouldnt expect form a busa plugging along at such low rpm.

SUPER INTERMITTIN REFUSAL TO RESTART. i can ride it for multiple days in a row and she will start up every time. it seems a longer ride -40 mins or more then stop to eat come back out and wont start.

now heres where it gets weird. one time i just leaned it a little to the rear brake side and it fired up. another time i lifted the tank and giggled the vaccum solinoid for the air box thats on the frame next to the altitude sensor and it fired...
yesterday i unplugged it (same solinoid not the altitude sensor)after trying to fire it for 30 mins mins on and off and as soon as i unplugged it, it fired up.

i have only had one code since i bought it which i already fixed which was some half assed wiring hacked into the fuel pump wireing.for the PC3 i have already removed.(pc3 died on me)

being a 2000 and having an external fuel pump i figured it would be a little louder than it is. but i hear the pump priming every key on. my buddies 08 gsxr pump sounds way louder than mine sitting next to each other.

mods:
small air box mod
air filter
stock manifold with vance and hines cs one slip ones

also per local dealership reccomendations they immedietly attributed it to the battery while i was stuck in a parking lot. luckily one of my friends had a two day old battery in his bike..so we swapped and still wouldnt fire.

i hope i provided enough information for you guys to help me get a better idea of what is going on with it. i enjoy the hell out of riding this thing and this puts a serious damper on not knowing weather or not its gonna start or not. ill check back often if you guys have any other quesitons for me to awnser about the bike.

thanks in advance.

Edit:::

forgot to add that since i have owned it i can go out after one night or 5 and the bike fires up everytime as if its brand new never used a trickle charger since ive never gone longer than 5 days of not riding and the batter has never failed me. idk and it seem to meter out at idle and revving it so i know its charging.

Last edited:
when the bike gets hot you get vapour lock and it will start poorly. The fuel pump can still prime and start poorly and run poorly as well.

You need to clean fuel filter and i suggest adding a low pressure secondary fuel pump. All fuel lines should be replaced as well. It is a gravity fed system and has serious limitations with the external fuel pump.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/thre...ilter-replacement-no-more-cutting-out.147532/ Step 1

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/cheap-solution-to-99-2000-fuel-pump-problems.173676/ STEP 2

BB

Back