2000 Hayabusa Shut off While Riding

taternator77

Registered
Hey guys,
Brand new to the forums. Got a 2000 hayabusa completely and 100% stock with 7,7xx miles. Bought her last year with 3k miles, shes unbelievably clean and has never had any issues up until about a month ago. Since some of my problems have started I have done the following: I have cleaned the tank (sat for a while I'm sure) of any rust or debris, I have changed all the plugs with iridium, changed oil and oil filter, changed out fuel hoses with new stock prebent hoses (no kinking noticed), cleaned the fuel pump screens, cleaned the FIs, new battery and made sure the terminals are tight, changed coolant and made sure it was burped with no air bubbles, and I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

So here are the symptoms that I've never ever had trouble with until just recently.
1. if she sits and idles too long, she heats up well past the halfway mark (never used to do this). The fan does kick on, but it still wont cool down quick enough. When im riding I dont sit for 20 minutes idling, so whatever, I just thought I'd include that. When I'm riding, the air cools it down, and the fan will take the temp down just below the halfway mark. Again though, it never used to get above the halfway mark even when idling.
2. Once the bike is warm and I have ridden for 15 minutes or so, without fail, when I switch gears (usually from first to second) the bike will putter out and shut off. I can start it back with hardly any problems while riding, but I've noticed when I hit the gas theres a laggy jerky response.
I'm desperate am wondering if its a fuel pump issue, or something worse like those little electrical gremlins :(. The shutting off occurs more frequently the longer I ride.
I have read some similar posts but havent found the same symptoms as my bike and am looking for a little guidance. Thanks.
I also have worked with a friend who was helping me with the bike and has since moved away, and I'm not super mechanically savy, so explainations are appreciated!

00J0J_8SiBWZudWs0_600x450.jpg

Would also prefer to not relocate the fuel pump. The temp gauge doesnt seem to be hot when the cutting out happens and from my understanding (which could be flawed) vapor lock is from too much heat causing the fuel to turn to vapor, etc etc. Thanks guys

:welcome: to the org. It sounds to me that you know what the problem is and are hoping that your wrong. I don't think you are just do the fuel pump mod. I understand it's not something you want to do but that's one of the downfalls of owning a 99 or 2000. Best of luck to you.

Is the fuel pump location a problem if the bike is not getting above the halfway point with heat. I'm willing to do what I need to fix it but don't want to be wrong if I decide to relocate it. Should a bit a newer fuel pump if I'm relocating? Thanks for the advice!

Back