2000 busa jerking at low speed

vinnycr2

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2000 Busa with a little over 14,000 miles. I bought it used last June with 11,000 miles on it.

It has performed flawlessly since then minus a little nagging problem.

When I'm decelerating at low speed in the 5 to 10 mph range or even just cruising in slow traffic in the same range with no throttle movement, the bike will start to jerk like I'm repeatedly pulling the clutch in and releasing it rapidly.

The chain is at about 7/8 on tension.

The clutch doesn't slip at any speed in any gear no matter how hard I accelerate and it starts to engage about half way in the total movement of the clutch lever.

The reservoir if full with clean fluid. The push pin or what ever it is called is not sticking.

There was a massive amount of road crap built up around the counter sprocket and everything else in the surrounding area.

It took an hour to clean everything off. Not sure if something went out of sinc from contamination. The road crap was really packed in.

I can keep it somewhat under control by pulling in the clutch lever and releasing it back using a little throttle.

If I'm not paying attention it sometimes starts to jerk pretty hard.

Vinny

I dont let the clucth all the way out at that low of a speed, I use the friction zone.

My best guess is that you need a power commander. You're running too lean. I had the same problem until I installed the power commander. Throttle response is much less abrubt while running the twisties too.

Come on a little low speed jerking isnt all that bad
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Sorry couldn't resist

laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies.

I don't leave the clutch out at low speed any more and also use the friction zone.

I was just wondering if it was a common thing with the busa.

I don't put many city miles or ride in traffic to much.

The weather really sucks up here in new England the last week and is supposed to last possibly another week.

I haven't ridden in a week.

It's killing me to look at my bike covered from the rain 7 days straight and counting.

TheDude27

Come on a little low speed jerking isnt all that bad
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Sorry couldn't resist

No it isn't

Just an innocent reminder of the awsome power lurking under your but.

laugh.gif

Vinny,
Try checking out your front sprocket.
With a used bike purchased at 11K then ridden 3k more.
Under that sprocket cover is going to be a huge black pile of grundge.
Get the gloves on and think about a new chain and sprocket kit after it's all shiney and clean again.

<!--EDIT|TIMMYDUCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147582146 -->

Timmyduck,

I mentioned in my original post that I removed the sprocket cover and cleaned the huge mess under the cover.

As for the sprocket it has no visible wear on it. It looks practically brand new.

The last owner must have changed it when he bought the bike and wasn't lying when he said he never really pushed the bike hard.

I still have 3 1/2 notches to go on the chain adjustment so I'm not ready for a chain and sprocket kit just yet.

Like the majority of the posts said, pull the clutch in and use the friction zone.

That is what I have been doing.

i have the same problem and i have a pcII dual hmf high mount looks like the clutch friction is the way to go but the bike didnt do that before i made the mods but then again i made so many mods lol
and as for the rain i feel your pain ! been raining here for 3 days now and its killing me
sad.gif

what 10 mph...i dont even start it at 10mph...it just instantly warps to uhhhhh leagal posted speed limit lol

Back