1st gen busa wont start after engine swap (different year engine)

cbibb

Registered
I will give as much info as possible to try to help you, help me. I took the 1397 out of my 2000 busa and put it in a 06 busa (with a bad title) that Im turning into a drag bike. Both bikes ran great before the swap. I left the wiring harness,throttle bodies,fuel tank and pump, and everything in the 06 and swapped just the 2000 engine. All the electronics work (dash, signals, lights etc). I double checked all my connections and cant see anything unplugged at all. The fuel pump comes on as it should and I pulled the line form where it goes into the injectors and see fuel pumping out of the line (but have no idea if its making it to the injectors). I pulled two plugs and I am getting spark. I put it in dealer mode and its showing no codes. It does have a power commander which I tried with and without and no change. The bike just turns over and shows no sign of trying to crank. Main fuse was good and all the fuses up at the front of the bike were good as well. Here are the things that are not hooked up but wouldnt think any of this would matter.
The bike has no coolant (just wanted to make sure it would fire)
The speed sensor is not hooked up right now
The kickstand safety switch is bypassed (cut the wires and tied them together)
The headlight is not on the bike right now

I only had about a gallon of gas to put in a completely bone dry tank and the gas gauge is barely off the bottom of the red box. I would think that there was enough gas in it to at least try to fire off. I thought about getting some starting fluid and trying a shot of that.

I keep reading about a "tip over switch" could that be my problem, and if so where is it and how do I test? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think you have to change the stator to a 01 or newer as well. I think I read that somewhere.

The 2000 engine had the whole starter system from a 03. It has a ricks motorsports stator/rectifier. When I checked their website it showed the same part number for the 2000 and the 2006 stator.

You need to change the crank rotor aka flywheel.
2000 was a 16bit. 2006 is a 32bit.
In case you don't know the crank rotor is under the stator on the left side of the motor.

Thank you sir I will do that tonight and post my results. Maybe that's why even though I was gettin spark it seemed like the time between the spark was too long. I am hoping it's something small like this. I'll let you know as soon as I swap them.

You need to change the crank rotor aka flywheel.
2000 was a 16bit. 2006 is a 32bit.
In case you don't know the crank rotor is under the stator on the left side of the motor.

Do I need to change the electric part (the 2 wire pickup) for the flywheel? If so that would mean I have to swap stators because the wires to through the same grommet

Well I wont be pulling the flywheel tonight, I didnt realize you needed a special tool. I have called dealers, autoparts stores and every one in between and no one has that 20mm bolt/tool. Sucks! Now I have to order and wait till next week.

Ended up finding a thread by another member that used an oil drain plug 20x1.5 to pull the flywheel. Worked like a dream!!! 1bondoman, you are the fu**ing man!!!!! Switched the flywheel and the bike fired up instantly!!! You ever come to Florida Im buying the beers! I love this board for things like this!

Well done 1bondoman

I knew there were differences in the early models.
The one I'm playing with at the moment is an late 01 build / 02 model,
stuff like this is great info to know. Thanks.

Tony.J.

Not near the bike at the moment.
It was sold as a "02 model" and has the correct 02 year colours (Black/Blue in Australia)
but like my B-King that's an "08 model" it was actually built the year before.

I realise it could be a borderline model.
I'll make a note of the numbers.

Thanks.
Tony.J.

Back