1585cc Gen-II

Chipwizard

Registered
I race a small car in a 1600cc class with a Hayabusa motor and I'm looking for more grunt.

Has anyone used a short (20mm pin-crown) two-ring piston with stock rods and an 8.5mm stroker crank?

Obviously, it means using 84mm bore so I'll likely need to use the early cylinder block, especially since the oil ring may travel below the cut-outs.

I'm not looking for a too-highly strung motor so was thinking of using two intake cams and maybe some minor head fettling, nothing too extreme.

Has anyone done similar?

A clip of my car for anyone interested....

- Bike-engined Suzuki Cappuccino Race Car at Mallory Park 1[/url]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 8.5 stroke with a spacer and Gen1 cylinder. I did the two ring CP pistons for only a short period but moved away from them. Intake cams aren't going to give you much extra power. The larger motor will give better torque numbers but to bump the hp up it really calls for bigger cams.

Yes, it's the little red car. It does seem to get off the line incredibly well.

It is quite well developed really with Lola wishbones and uprights, Ohlins dampers, magnesium centre-lock wheels etc. etc.

Just needs more grunt once it's up to speed because it carries more weight and drag than the others in my class. On the plus side though, it has better aero so I can pull away in fast corners... I mostly struggle with Lotus-7 derived cars that are allowed to run without windscreens so have less frontal area.

I use a 8.5 stroke with a spacer and Gen1 cylinder. I did the two ring CP pistons for only a short period but moved away from them. Intake cams aren't going to give you much extra power. The larger motor will give better torque numbers but to bump the hp up it really calls for bigger cams.

OK, cheers. I am trying to avoid using too many revs if I can as the engine is under a lot of load for long periods and I figured the higher piston speeds from the longer stroke would be enough added stress for the rods.

What parts combo would you suggest I use? I'm not looking to spend a fortune either as it's all personal-pocket funded. I'd like another 30hp or so if that's sensible to expect from some cc's, mild cams and a head fettle (assuming it's needed- I don't know how good the heads are as stock)

Thanks in advance.

I think you are asking for expensive damage if you run a stroker with stock rods, especially in a car. We do a lot of busa race car stuff and the race cars are considerably harder on parts than the bikes.

You could run thew early rod with our 18mm pin and have room to move the pin up 1 mm in the piston. The rest would have to be taken up with either shorter rods or a plate.

We can help you with this project.

E-mail me jay@aperaceparts.com

Back