1/4 mile set up and gear?

David562

Registered
I wont to start drag racing!I just got a gray and black 08 Busa and had it dyno broke in putting out 177 horse SAE.Ive never raced befor and don't know how to get started.What do I need to where do I need a one piec race suit or can I get by with leather jacket and pants(seprit)Do I need race boots or will my lether stompin boots work??And what needs to be done to my new bone stock busa??Is there any one going to the woodburn races on the 21st I could mabey hook up with and woulden't mind showing me the ropes.
I Just retired from Bench press compititions and I'm looking to lear a new power skill.One that I can push a machine insted of my own body.I'd rather risk blowing up an engin than my heart I can allway buy a new engin.If anyone is wondering my best competitive Bench press was at the Las Vegas world championchips where I put up 562lbs@B.W. of 251lbs.

my biggest suggestion and how i learned is a long stretch of road and just practice launch after launch and as far as mods go pipe air filter and a power commander is alot of peoples first mods
thumb_up.gif

You say you just got a 08 Busa, have you broke the engine in yet?
Do you "need" to change anything to the bike? - Maybe just maybe the Brocks clutch hub to replace the stock two piece.

Run the bike in stock form, this will give you a good comparison of times later when you start modifying and then you can see what $$ and mods helped lower your times.
Learn the lights, staging, launches, shifting, in other words walk before you can run. Don't get caught up in the "I need to spend $$$ in order to drag race", that comes later. Go out have fun then come back and ask more questions about racing and mods.

One piece suit is better but two piece that zips together is good enough. Over the ankle boots will work, I figure you are using some type of good boots to ride in? Those can do you just fine.

The bike is plenty fast now.

You need leathers. Most use 2 piece, but the must zip together all the way around. leather gloves. Race boots would be great but a good set of leather boots would work.

Lower it. I suggest an aftermarket tree for the front. Lowering links or adjustable links on the rear. Get a lowering strap also and a radial mount the brock makes. Schnitz and others keep them.
Quite a few things will factor in on gearing. Going to a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket would be where I would start.

Get some seat time at the track and go from there.

I wouldn't worry about a pipe until you feel you have it tamed.

Read through the info in the 1/4 mile section.

Thanks for all the help!When I was asking what to do to my bike I was refuring to what need to be done to pass safty inpection to run on the track?Sorry looking back at my post I wasn't very clear.
sadnews.gif

It depends if you are going to a run-what-you-brung event - license & registration only.
If it is a test & tune night - maybe no car antifreeze, kill switch mounted to hadlebars (we already have that on stock bike).

It really is a call to your track and simply ask them before hand. Every track is different but it is usually not a big deal or hard to comply.

Some tracks might require a kill teather to be installed. PMR makes a very nice one that replaces the control clamp on the right side. Other than that you should be good to go.

I still recommed lowering it. It will help in the wheelie department.

Back