1/10th. of throttle engine surge

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
Rode the bike this morning, it rode perfect. Took it out for a evening blast through the twisties and I noticed when I twist the throttle the first 1/10 of the twist the bike began to surge, a little more throttle and the problem went away. Where should I start first with the trouble shooting, has anyone experienced before. Same gas in tank during both rides today.
rock.gif

Well I removed the power commander and went for a ride problem still present. Might have been the absense of ear plugs but the bike felt better without the power commander and just the G-Pack...I will check the plugs for fouling tomorrow morning and a compression check. I am thinking it is fuel related as the problem goes away with more gas/throttle.

so exactly what portion of your riding do you spend at  "1/10" throttle
rock.gif
Enough to know that my 2006 project bike with only 4500 miles should not studder at all. Some people tolorate anything I don't. Just the way I am, it's either perfect or not. Sounds like a comment the dealer would say if I brought the bike in for service. Then I would more than likely go somewhere else. Was hoping someone had an experienced technical answer. I will go the trouble shoot route should not take me long to work it out.
rock.gif

rock.gif

Sounds like fuel still. If you fueled up right before 1st riding any water may have not settled. 2nd ride same fuel it had settled. I would first burn it up and refuel. Then trouble shoot again.

Sounds like fuel still. If you fueled up right before 1st riding any water may have not settled. 2nd ride same fuel it had settled. I would first burn it up and refuel. Then trouble shoot again.
thanks....sounds and feels like a fuel issue. Will know more later today.

Turns out cylinder number four's coil pack had vibrated loose somehow and was just resting atop the spark plug cap. All appears fine. For those with technical insight thank you very much. I knew it had to be something as minor as that or just a case of bad gas.

GPW

Turns out cylinder number four's coil pack had vibrated loose somehow and was just resting atop the spark plug cap. All appears fine. For those with technical insight thank you very much. I knew it had to be something as minor as that or just a case of bad gas.

GPW
Glad you found it!

GPW
Glad you found it!
Actually went through these steps to get there:

(1) emptied tank installed fresh gas
(2) checked all connections
(3) checked air filter
(4) checked vacum leak
(5) checked throttle position sensor settings
(6) took off the power commander - problem present
(7) took off the G-pack - problem present
(8) checked coil packs - found problem

biggrin.gif