08 Hayabusa vs 1000 GSX-R

You're right, they do run real close on the drag strip and the 1000 accelerates almost as fast and is a gem in the twisties or on the track.
Ahhhh, just to set the record straight, I guess we all have our own personal view points, but in Sport Rider (Aug 07) they had a completely STOCK GSX-R1000 K7 doing a 9.74 sec @ 149MPH through the quarter. I would think this would put the gixxer and busa even up in acceleration!?
Like stated within this thread, get the gixxer if your rides are predominantly in the twisities and the busa for a more comfortable sport/touring long hauler. 80 percent of my riding is done in the twisties with frequent rest stops, a long day trip to me is in the 200 - 300 mile range consisting of frequent stretch breaks along the way; so I sold the busa and got the gixxer and couldn't be happier. Simply put, canyon carving on the busa was a scary endeavor for a mediocre rider like myself, whereas the gixxer is more confident inspiring and allows me to be much more relaxed and better mountain road rider.
Don't get confused between the Actualy quarter mile times, and the Corrected quater mile times that are posted in magazines for most of the liter bikes.

if you plan on having a passenger the busa is the only choice.wife would kill me if I bought a 1k or for that matter a zx14.the busa is by far the more comfortable for the back seat.
ZX14 is way more comfortable riding two's than the Busa. We dropped off my wife's ZX14 to the shop for the day to get serviced, then we rode back on my Busa. She said that the her bike was much more comfortable for that than my bike by far. She rode my bike once, and won't get back on.

BTW, I smoked and when I say smoked, I mean destroyed a '07 GSXR1000 on both my ZX14 and my Busa (I say their my bikes because I paid for both of them). I'll never buy a liter bike again for speed. They just can't match up. And I don't wanna hear, Oh, he must've been a bad rider. If you do the math, the torque alone and the ability to put more power to the road completely negates the weight difference between the zx14/Busa and today's liter bikes.

Hitting the twisties on the other hand is a whole different story.
There is a flip side to that coin. I'm not saying you didn't show your tail light to a gixxer1K. But this I can say with confidence. I spend lots of time at the track. While I'm past my prime for racing, I do hold my own pretty well on track days.

We generally have a busa or two that show up on every track day. My experience with the mighty busa is, while my gixxer can't pass a good rider on a busa on the long front straight, I reach the first turn at a buck seventy close enough to spit on the big girls tail light (We are talking both bikes basicly stock). Turn one is only a slight turn to the right then a quick long left hand double apex left hander. We take turn one at WOT still on the busas butt. Here in turn two is where the busa become vulnerable and I use two methods to spank the busa's ass. I either outbrake the beast or if he is carrying lots of corner speed I slow up slighly on the outside to square the corner off and come underneath on the corner exit because if he is taking the corner fast and draging plastic I know he is going wide on the exit. While the fat chick is still leaned over on the foot peg, the gixxer is standing straight up with the front tire about six inches off the deck and blows by the Fat Girl like she is an antique. Now I'm not sure if using the term "Smoke" is proper but you won't see hide nor hair of that busa for the rest of the session.

Here is what else I know about the comparison between the two bikes. I have had both Gixxer 1K's and busa's for many years. Never keep one more than a year and always have new equipment to compare. My son, who is now in his 30's eats and breaths road racing and is damn good at it. He and I have tried all sorts of comparisons between the 07 gixxer and the old generation busa. From a dead stop, the gixxer stands no chance with the big girl. She launches so hard that the gixxer can only look at her tail light from a distance. However, from a 50 mph roll on, the gixxer is never more than two bike lengths from the busa up to a buck sixty or so. After that the busa will very slowly gain a little and I emphasize "Little"!

The reality of the two bikes is, they are so very close in performance that you cannot tell the difference unless you are pulling along side each other. I now have an 08 busa and while I have not had the opportunity to test the two against each other, I am fairly confident the new busa is a more formidable opponent. What I do know is the new version of the Fat Chick in stock form on the OEM tires will either lift the front or spin the tire while exiting the corners. I'll be taking her to the track after the weather warms a bit and installing a sticky set of Pirelli slicks and see just what she has to offer. You can have lots of fun with most street riders in the intermediate group on your big busa. For a fat chick she performs pretty damn good!

I dearly love my busa but I think the 1K is much more fun for everyday play.

if you plan on having a passenger the busa is the only choice.wife would kill me if I bought a 1k or for that matter a zx14.the busa is by far the more comfortable for the back seat.
ZX14 is way more comfortable riding two's than the Busa. We dropped off my wife's ZX14 to the shop for the day to get serviced, then we rode back on my Busa. She said that the her bike was much more comfortable for that than my bike by far. She rode my bike once, and won't get back on.

BTW, I smoked and when I say smoked, I mean destroyed a '07 GSXR1000 on both my ZX14 and my Busa (I say their my bikes because I paid for both of them). I'll never buy a liter bike again for speed. They just can't match up. And I don't wanna hear, Oh, he must've been a bad rider. If you do the math, the torque alone and the ability to put more power to the road completely negates the weight difference between the zx14/Busa and today's liter bikes.

Hitting the twisties on the other hand is a whole different story.
There is a flip side to that coin. I'm not saying you didn't show your tail light to a gixxer1K. But this I can say with confidence. I spend lots of time at the track. While I'm past my prime for racing, I do hold my own pretty well on track days.

We generally have a busa or two that show up on every track day. My experience with the mighty busa is, while my gixxer can't pass a good rider on a busa on the long front straight, I reach the first turn at a buck seventy close enough to spit on the big girls tail light (We are talking both bikes basicly stock). Turn one is only a slight turn to the right then a quick long left hand double apex left hander. We take turn one at WOT still on the busas butt. Here in turn two is where the busa become vulnerable and I use two methods to spank the busa's ass. I either outbrake the beast or if he is carrying lots of corner speed I slow up slighly on the outside to square the corner off and come underneath on the corner exit because if he is taking the corner fast and draging plastic I know he is going wide on the exit. While the fat chick is still leaned over on the foot peg, the gixxer is standing straight up with the front tire about six inches off the deck and blows by the Fat Girl like she is an antique. Now I'm not sure if using the term "Smoke"  is proper but you won't see hide nor hair of that busa for the rest of the session.

Here is what else I know about the comparison between the two bikes. I have had both Gixxer 1K's and busa's for many years. Never keep one more than a year and always have new equipment to compare. My son, who is now in his 30's eats and breaths road racing and is damn good at it. He and I have tried all sorts of comparisons between the 07 gixxer and the old generation busa. From a dead stop, the gixxer stands no chance with the big girl. She launches so hard that the gixxer can only look at her tail light from a distance. However, from a 50 mph roll on, the gixxer is never more than two bike lengths from the busa up to a buck sixty or so. After that the busa will very slowly gain a little and I emphasize "Little"!

The reality of the two bikes is, they are so very close in performance that you cannot tell the difference unless you are pulling along side each other. I now have an 08 busa and while I have not had the opportunity to test the two against each other, I am fairly confident the new busa is a more formidable opponent. What I do know is the new version of the Fat Chick in stock form on the OEM tires will either lift the front or spin the tire while exiting the corners. I'll be taking her to the track after the weather warms a bit and installing a sticky set of Pirelli slicks and see just what she has to offer.  You can have lots of fun with most street riders in the intermediate group on your big busa. For a fat chick she performs pretty damn good!

I dearly love my busa but I think the 1K is much more fun for everyday play.
OH yeah, at a track, I'd take a liter bike or even a 600cc bike anyday over one of these big bikes. In fact I would've kept my R1 if there were a good track around where I live, but sadly there isn't, only straight highways. I'm not a Gixxer fan by any means. In fact I really don't like the bike as far as looks. But performance wise, you'd have to be a nut to think that the 1k Gixxers aren't the best all around liter bike out there right now. Of course, there haven't been comparisons yet for the new kawasaki and the new honda. But I'm sure it will hold its own.

trust me the busa is a way more comforable ride. i have ridden both and at 18 years old i couldnt imagine taking a long trip in the 1000 i rode it about 100 miles one day and i was so ready to get back on the busa. on these two bike power isnt a problem on either bike. to me the busa feels faster on the road because of all the torque, The 1000 just stands up! if i were you i would pick the busa over the 1000 anyday.

OH yeah, at a track, I'd take a liter bike or even a 600cc bike anyday over one of these big bikes. In fact I would've kept my R1 if there were a good track around where I live, but sadly there isn't, only straight highways. I'm not a Gixxer fan by any means. In fact I really don't like the bike as far as looks. But performance wise, you'd have to be a nut to think that the 1k Gixxers aren't the best all around liter bike out there right now. Of course, there haven't been comparisons yet for the new kawasaki and the new honda. But I'm sure it will hold its own.
The point I was making is no one is going to "Distroy" a gixxer with a stock busa. Even at the drags, the busa is not much quicker than the gixxer. I've found the odd busa on the track I could pass on the straight but I am wise enough to know it's not the busa I'm passing but the rider.

We generally have a busa or two that show up on every track day. My experience with the mighty busa is, while my gixxer can't pass a good rider on a busa on the long front straight, I reach the first turn at a buck seventy close enough to spit on the big girls tail light (We are talking both bikes basicly stock). Turn one is only a slight turn to the right then a quick long left hand double apex left hander. We take turn one at WOT still on the busas butt. Here in turn two is where the busa become vulnerable and I use two methods to spank the busa's ass. I either outbrake the beast or if he is carrying lots of corner speed I slow up slighly on the outside to square the corner off and come underneath on the corner exit because if he is taking the corner fast and draging plastic I know he is going wide on the exit. While the fat chick is still leaned over on the foot peg, the gixxer is standing straight up with the front tire about six inches off the deck and blows by the Fat Girl like she is an antique. Now I'm not sure if using the term "Smoke" is proper but you won't see hide nor hair of that busa for the rest of the session.

The reality of the two bikes is, they are so very close in performance that you cannot tell the difference unless you are pulling along side each other.
All very good points tufbusa. Just about all incarnations of the gixxer 1k have been said by some to be fairly comfortable for a literbike. Some can endure on them a bit better then others while many would prefer the ergo's of the busa, 12 or 14 instead.

Key notes to address in comparing the "old" busa and the k6 gixxer 1k. Straight line the busa is ahead by only a few lengths. Well while it may not be considered "Destroying" the literbike, it is considerable enough to see which is clearly superior in that area. And this is IF the 1k rider knows what they're doing. Dead stop is one thing but even from a roll a 1k can surprise a average rider with the front end wanting to claw up for the sky if they're too snappy with the throttle. Bike length's aside, lets not forget we are comparing 2 bike designs about 6 years apart which is HUGE in sportbike years.
laugh.gif
With the older bike still the better in the straight line and the gixxer 1k having alot of tech influence trickled down from the Hayabusa Flagship too.
thumb_up.gif

Same deal with the track day comparison. The busa was designed to do EVERYTHING well and while of course it's no 1000cc race rep, it can still be fun on a track day. Obviously a 1k, 750 or 600 should be quicker in the twisty stuff. On the road, performance differences between the big bore and 1000's probably won't be shown unless speeds get to race track only level or really tight sections of twisty backroad. The smaller/lighter bikes may inspire more confidence to some but it's all preference really. Some like a featherweight feel while others don't feel right on something that weighs like a bicycle. Gotta remember also not everyone knows how to ride these bikes decent in the straight line let along the curves. It is priceless fun to be on a big monster like a Blackbird or Busa and leave some average rider on a race rep behind in the curves. Also, like I said in my previous post, sometimes you got to ride awhile to find some twisties and not everyone has track day endurance even if they can corner their race rep well. Fatigue saps alot of ability from riders riding a bike with a tight seating position, chassis telegraphing every crack and bump on the road into their body and the aerodynamics of a brick unless your chin is on the tank. Whereas riders on the bigger bikes are comfy, warmed up and ready to play. Doesn't speak for all though not many tour well on a literbike like they would a busa or big ninja. However there is this one guy on the ZX-10 boards that has a '04 zx-10 with well over 100,000 on the clock.
wowold.gif
Different strokes for different folks.

I loved my 05 busa and I love my 07 1000 gixxer and have even been thinking about getting a new 09 busa next spring (I buy new every 2 years), but I just can't see getting "smoked" by "anything" on the road today in STOCK configuration!
The following youtube video is on a track and therefore not a fair comparison of the two because the busa is not a track bike, but notice how fast and stable the gixxer is up to 186MPH on the straights. I just can't see the new busa doing it any better!!??
Enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny im actually headed this week to pick up another busa but the GSXR 1K has caught my attention just haven't decided yet...

Back